• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

FE

obsessed

I could hear a slight hising noise in the direction of the gas bottle. Turned everything off still hissing, I raised the the fire extinguisher handle and it stops. The back pressure had coursed the handle valve seal to blow. Dont know how long it had been leaking but just advise check the bottle not just the reg and lines for leaks.

Was this an expired FE? I am using them now as a cheap co2 source so interested to see this

This can happen anytime. I had an in-date FE that had a similar failure. It just all escaped over 48 hours without any noise. I recently bought 14 x 2KG FE locally for £50 though so it ain't no thang... :D

Was this an expired FE?
All pressurised gas cylinders have a date of manufacture on them and most are valid for 10 years. After that date they must be inspected and pressure tested before being refilled with gas and reused. Main issues are internal rust and external damage weakening the cylinder. For FE's it is generally not worth retesting so normally an old FE will be emptied and the cylinder sent to scrap metal.

They cannot be used for fire extinguisher purpose but will be fine for fish tank use.

Just watch out as old FE's can/will have leaked gas over time so may no longer contain 2Kg of CO2. Their is a weight (in Kg) stamped on the tank, the tare weight normally 5-6Kg which is the weight when full.

No mate it was in date( brand new) and was faulty from the start. So I was just unlucky and brought a dud, so the fe company says, anyway I still check the whole co2 system now and again including the bottle with a soapy water spray. ;)

Back