• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Fast growing plant just for start up

Ash6526

Hi all,
just wondering if there are any fast growing plants I could put in that don’t need to actually be planted (don’t want the mess after pulling out) in order to help with initial uptake of excess nutrients?

I know there are floating plants just didn’t know if there was something I could throw in that would help out?
Cheers.

Hi Ash. There are probably loads, but hydrocotyle leucocephala can be used as a floating plant or in substrate and it grows rapidly. I've got it in my setup and it's one of my favourites. And I pull nets of salvinia out each week as it roughly doubles in that time.

I use CO2 and daily ferts, but sure these would work well under any decent lighting and fertiliser regime.

Mark

hoggie

Hi all,
I know there are floating plants just didn’t know if there was something I could throw in that would help out?
hydrocotyle leucocephala
Good one.
And I pull nets of salvinia out each week as it roughly doubles in that time.
Whatever you like really. It is access to <"atmospheric CO2"> that makes the difference.

My <"go to "floaters"> are Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum), Floating Fern (Salvinia auriculata group) and Nile Cabbage (Pistia stratiotes). As "stems" I use Hornwort (Ceratophyllum demersum) and Indian Fern (Ceratopteris thalictroides).

cheers Darrel

You could always buy a couple of potted plants & leave them in their pots to grow for a while as long as the stems didn't rot.
Hygrophila polysperma or h. guanensis, limnophila sessiliflora & heteranthera zosterifolia are all pretty robust.

Back