• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Extra Lighting - what would you buy?

OK, so I've got a good quality DSLR on the way, and I'm hoping my tank will be in half-decent shape for an IAPLC entry.

I'm going to start by taking pictures in the darkened room, camera on tripod, using the luminaire as my sole light source (2x24w pinkish fluorescents and 1x 150MH - I may turn the tubes off). But I guess my 'white' background will need additional lighting chucked straight at it to come up white, not grey/green. If that happens I've got two options - get some additional lighting, or get a black background.

If you had, say, about £500 to spend on some additional lighting, what would you go for? Flash or continuous? Any particular makes/models?

My tank is 100x45x55(tall), camera is Canon 500D with a 17-55mm f2.8 lens.

Hi all,
I'm not a photographer, but there is a poster on Planet Catfish - Harvaard Stoere who takes amazing pictures of his L. numbers. I'll post a link to one of his threads, but I can't rememeber which one talks about his lighting set-up.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=26493&start=140.

I think "LondonDragon" posts on Pc so he may remember the thread.

cheers Darrel

without hesitation, this is what you want.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-bow ... t/p1029931

it'll give you this kind of lighting

reallightattempt.jpg

Thanks Darrel - in that thread there's a reference to Portaflash units, which look to be a more basic (and cheaper!) alternative to the Bowens items Mark suggests.

Nice one Mark - I had a feeling this set-up would be the one. Stu's lustful comments about them in the 'Off-Camera Flash' thread were a bit of a pointer!

In that thread you suggest maybe more than two units are needed to do the job on a tank longer than 90cms, especially with a white background - any further info on that?

Oh, and while the Bowens might give me 'that kind of light', I somehow doubt it'll give me that quality of shot! :lol:

I'd go for a camera flashgun. At least you can use it for general stuff later on. Try to buy a mid-to-high range one as a master and a low range one as a slave if you can afford it.

Back