• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filters for nanos

LancsRick

I think I'm going to move to an external for my 14l nano, partly to free up tank space, but also to increase my media space so I can get some chemical filtration in there as well as mech.

Any recommendations? I'm looking at the Eheim Aquacompact 40 (or maybe the 60 for future proofing since the flow is adjustable), but would be interested in experiences!

I have a tetratec ex700 on my 30l nano on full flow and it is fine. If anything it could do with slightly more flow!

got the 40 compact, its very quiet and water is crystal clear in a 25l

I'm interested in this as well as I've been fancying some lily pipes for a while. Just one more expense though...

How about the E700 thats free with the subscription with PFK this month? Thoughts on that?

Thanks for the contributions in here guys. I've been assessing using the 204 I have spare for this nano, but decided it's going to be effort than it's worth.

Final decision? EX400! Zooplus.de can get it to my door for £40, so can't really go wrong at that!

LancsRick said:
Cheers, hadn't considered the Sera up until now!

I had one and sent it back ! think it was a one off but had big problems with priming.

Pump height on the EX400 only seems to be 60cm!? Think I might go for the 600 at £60. That gives me 20x turnover but more is always best as I can just turn it down if needed.

Never noticed the head in the specs. I've turned mine down a bit on my 35L Nano as I thought the flow was a bit high. I've just checked the height and from the top of the filter to the top of the tank and it's 835mm!
I decided to order an adjustable flow meter a few days ago so I'll have some idea of flow when it arrives.
It's coming from HK so could take a week or three...

Mine's probably a height of 90cm or so from the floor to the top of the tank. I'm sure it will probably pump that high but want to be 100%.

I've just checked the printed manual and it says "ensure the distance between the bottom of the filter and the surface of the water is within the range illustrated" which in the case of the EX400 is 40-150 cm!?

Morgan Freeman said:
Oh, well whatever I read was incorrect! Great, I'll go for the EX400.

I think you may have read the minimum height... being the minimum you can have between the level of the water and the top of the pump as 60cm sounds about right for that :)

Antipofish said:
Morgan Freeman said:

I think you may have read the minimum height... being the minimum you can have between the level of the water and the top of the pump as 60cm sounds about right for that :)

Quite possibly, I'm pretty dopey.

Morgan Freeman said:
Antipofish said:
Morgan Freeman said:

Quite possibly, I'm pretty dopey.

Not at all. Like Aqua Sobriquet said, the instructions are ambiguous. I had to read mine a few times before I got what they meant, and I don't think I'm dopey at all, :lol: :lol:

Back