• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External filter for flow or powerhead

Daniel

Hi all,

I am currently running an Eheim pro3e 2178 thermo external filter on my 300L tank (100x60x45cm). I want more flow throughout the tank and I was thinking of adding a second cannister filter. Alternatively I was thinking it would be less fuss to just run the filter I've got and then add a powerhead or two to gain the extra flow without having to clean an additional filter and pipes.

I guess my question is you often see aquascapes of similar size tank to mine or larger that have a canister filter at either end. Are they using both predominantly for filtration or is the second one more for increasing flow? I'm sure it also depends on stocking, size of filters etc too, but as a general rule are both required?

It's a very open question and I'm sure every tank is different but an idea would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Dan

How to do CO2 with two filters.
upload_2018-11-9_17-6-0.png

How to do CO2 with two filters.
View attachment 119362

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the image. This seems to show how to run co2 through 2 canisters, by this do you mean that is the reason you would two filters? I'm sure I've seen set ups with two filters that still have an in-tank diffuser also. So one would assume the additional cannister filter is for filtration or extra flow purposes still?

Hi Daniel
Its for both.
Its personal preference really what are U going to use.There is benefit of having two filters if U have the cash to splash on one.More filtration= cleaner tank.
If U have your tank lightly stocked and your only objective is to increase flow there is no need for second filter.Powerheads will do it.
Maniy people on here just try to keep their in tank equipment to minimum and add second filter with glass ware as is more easy to the eye.
Regards Konsa

this is my way of thinking, if the filter you are using is doing its job. i.e filtering/ cleaning/ your water i would just add a powerhead or a circulation pump with Lilly pipes for flow. if your filter isnt up to the job filtering your tank then add a second filter. The bonus of adding a second filter is you will always have a backup system in place.

I want more flow throughout the tank
Typically more flow in the tank can be more readily achieved with a power head/wave maker etc. It is difficult to achieve x10 flow with canisters. Use a pre-filter on your canister(s) and save a lot of time and work.

Depending on how much extra flow you are after you could also try removing some media from the filter to help increase flow slightly...provided you leave enough media for the tank inhabitants of course! I'm planning to run mine with no media today to see how much difference it can make!

Back