• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

External Filter for a 20 Liter Tank

The head is the difference between the water level in the tank and the height of the return pipe/lily pipe/spray bar. If the return is submersed the head is zero. Having the canister on the floor doesn't matter. Gravity will bring the water in the return pipe up to the tank level even with the filter unplugged, the pump only has to lift it the rest of the way to the end of the outlet pipe.

sorry to hijack but I too am getting a small volume tank, 16l 12x10x8 but I don't want to go next to the tank with the filter, instead I want it in the kitchen cupboard at the bottom roughly a meter away from the top of the tank to the floor.....would a ehiem 2217 be too powerful even if I can adjust the amount of pressure it produces or will this damage the filter over time??

Hi mate,

the 2217 is a bit of a overkill for such a small tank and reducing the flow too much will make it noisy and will wear off the impeller. It also affects the cooling of the motor....

Why don't you go for the 2213 which will have planty of flow for this tank? It still will be a bit too powerful though...

Refer to your other thread, Bumcrumb. The 2217 will be useful of you intend on upgrading to a larger tank in the future.

Back