• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Experimenting with substrates

What have you found to be best substrate?

• flourite / tropica aquarium soil

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • mix of above

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dan4x4

Hello

I wanted to discuss findings with different substrates. Ive used 2 different types now and about to try a third set up.

My first "dirt" aquarium was with john innes number 3 - favourite so far. Didn't have to dose nutrients until approx 1 year old. I also added bonemeal into the substrate.

My second experience was with westland aquatic compost, which I was disappointed with. showed signs of nutrient deficiencies after about 3 months. I added bonemeal to substrate and also red clay.
- not powdered, the air dry kind.

This time Im thinking of having a base of new horizon multi purpose compost - which is worm castings, coco coil and wood basically (peat free). I want to try and mix some vermiculite into the compost and use this as the base layer. Then add spagnum moss and cap with gravel.

Im experimenting with some jars now.

Worked out really well. I made a mistake when first setting it up and ended up with loads of bits of wood on top of the gravel. I'll put some pictures up soon :)

Back