• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Everything but the kitchen sink tank.

TeaHausCanada

Hello from London Ontario Canada! Hope everyone is well. Set up this 60P about 7 weeks ago. Had a plan. Had some nice dragon stone. Wanted an iwagumi. Turned into this because a nice local aquarist was quitting the hobby and was taking down his tanks. Offered to sell me a couple of zip-lock bags of various plants. I had no idea what they were (or what they are) save for trident fern and some sort of buce. I think the bushy ones are Blyxa Japonica. Anyhow, tank has been going gangbusters and thought I would share the jungle. No rhyme nor reason for plant placement. I just put them in wherever they fit. The cherry shrimp and 4 otos seem to be happy. Maybe someone more experienced can tell me what some of the plants are.............
everything.jpg

Anyhow, tank has been going gangbusters and thought I would share the jungle. No rhyme nor reason for plant placement. I just put them in wherever they fit.
@TeaHausCanada Very nice indeed! I love the messed up "scape"... both my tanks are like this. Even though I know quite a few plants I always have a really hard time identifying them correctly from random pictures.. so here goes an exposure of my lacking skills in that department... Many if not most look familiar :) ... The Blyxa are the leafy ones in the front and I recognize a few Anubias here and there, and Java ferns (probably the tridents the ones with dark spots above the rock above the anubias)... The ones on the rocks are the Bucephalandra. Looks like there may be a Sword there in the back and possibly some frog bit. Can't tell what those down there at the foreground where the shrimp is at are.. familiar, but cant tell.

Also looks like there's some type of Hydrocotyle at the bottom left below the Blyxa, possibly Leucocephala?

Lovely scape BTW.

@John_q I think your right about about them being Hydrocotyle .... but I am not sure they are of the Leucocephala kind ~ better known as Brazilian Pennyworts, which I currently have in both my tanks. It is really hard to tell though.

@TeaHausCanada Very nice indeed! I love the messed up "scape"... both my tanks are like this. Even though I know quite a few plants I always have a really hard time identifying them correctly from random pictures.. so here goes an exposure of my lacking skills in that department... Many if not most look familiar :) ... The Blyxa are the leafy ones in the front and I recognize a few Anubias here and there, and Java ferns (probably the tridents the ones with dark spots above the rock above the anubias)... The ones on the rocks are the Bucephalandra. Looks like there may be a Sword there in the back and possibly some frog bit. Can't tell what those down there at the foreground where the shrimp is at are.. familiar, but cant tell.
Hey thanks! Blyxa seems obvious. Want to trim it a bit but am hesitant because from what I've read, you're supposed to unroot them and pull them apart from the bottom. They are growing well but getting really tall. Is it ok to trim the leaves? Definitely anubias (mini?) and there's some bigger anubias too. The buce seems to be huge compared to when I planted it.......seems to be growing a leaf every week. I glued some very small patches of moss on top of the rocks and it seems to have blossomed as well. Not sure what it is though......(christmas moss??)I think in between all the blyxa in the centre, there's some sort of hairgrass? The plant where the shrimp is sitting is monte carlo. I know that one because I had some cuttings from a smaller scape and I just kind of stuck it in.........maybe it will carpet??

Also looks like there's some type of Hydrocotyle at the bottom left below the Blyxa, possibly Leucocephala?

Lovely scape BTW.
I just looked that up and I think you're right. Thanks for the kind words. Not what I had planned but it is fun to see what is popping up here and there. Do you think those are swords in the centre among the blyxa? Those are the only plants that don't seem to be doing so well in here. Lot's of melting leaves which I have to pull out every couple of days.

Lovely scape BTW.
Do you think it could be hydrocotyle tripartita? I've looked at some pictures and it does look familiar.

I had posted a pic of that plant right below the rock way back when I first set-up the tank and someone identified it as marsilea hirsuta. I've tried planting it into the substrate but it keeps coming up. But it's growing. I'll just leave it as is.......

I know that one because I had some cuttings from a smaller scape and I just kind of stuck it in.........maybe it will carpet??
I believe most luck with carpeting plants such as Monte Carlo comes with with relatively high light and thus CO2... I do not Inject CO2 and keep my light pretty low intensity. I never had luck with any carpeting plants under those conditions. I've only tried a couple though some grasses and micro swords.. the micro swords are still making it and actually look good, but they grow slooow....I don't know if micro swords is technically a carpeting plant.

Last edited:
Hi @John q , Ok, I raise your Anubias Nana with Anubias Nana Petite and possibly a Barteri in the back there. 🤣
Is barteri the larger leaf anubias? This thing has big leaves. And it's roots are making a bee-line in between the cracks in the rocks towards the substrate. Has anyone spotted the hairgrass-like plant in between all the blyxa in the centre? I remember this was one piece stuck between all the blyxa plants and I just tucked it in there and now it has turned into multiple strands and is getting quite tall. There's also a bunch of crypts that you can't see in this view. They're kind of hidden in the back of the tank (should have been in the mid-ground) but when I put them in there, they came out of another nano tank that I have and I didn't want to dispose of them so they went into this melting pot. I am running CO2.

I think between the 3 of us we did pretty good :)
Cheers,
Michael
Thanks again.......I've made a list and at least I know what most of the plants are. I'll try and take some more detailed pics for all of you tomorrow (sorry, lights are off now). The bacopa assertion is very good.........that sounds familiar (another cheapo 'used' plant that I got in the past month because I had read it would be good to have some fast growing stems in there. I completely forgot the names though.........there is one (not in the pic) that has really nice pink tops, kind of a needle-like plant that sways in the flow. Lovely colour. (of course, don't know the name!!). I guess this is where buying new helps, you get pots with names!!

I guess this is where buying new helps, you get pots with names!!
Yes it helps but you end up throwing the labels and soon forget the plant names or can't identify the specific plants. I have about five different types of bucephalandra but couldn't resite their names if you pointed them out in my tank.

Back