• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eusteralis Stellata ID?

sjb123

Hi, can anyone ID this plant for me please? Bought off an online dealer two weeks ago as a Eusteralis Stellata but it dos'nt look like the picture in my oldish plant book!! Any idea's please??

It's eusteralis stellata but from aquaspot. I've tried growing that but for some reason even with the submerged leave growth it's never the same as the plant from oliver knotts tank or even tropica. Limnophila aromatica from aquaspot looks different. It has a wider leaves and it's submerged leaves for some reason is very different to the one sold by tropica too!

daniel19831123 said:
Thanks Daniel,
its not a bad looking plant it's just not the same as the photo in my old Dennerle book! Thought i would try growing it as i have just upgraded lights on my Rio 400 to T5's from T8 which has given me more light (thankfully no algae at the moment) to try the more demanding plants,

Cheers Steve B

Hi,
Eusteralis stellata was renamed Pogostemon stellata and the Tropica variant is identified as species 053G. There are many variants (phenotypes) of this plant as it's wide ranging, so it's not surprising that the variant found in one location does not match that from another. It's physical form and health is much more dependent on CO2 and nutrient levels than lighting level. Under high lighting it simply grows more quickly and can develop various pigmentation, but it's demand for nutrition/CO2 is also higher under higher lighting. The same can be said to great extent of Limnophilia aromatica (species 047B). If you do a search of these names you'll find a few threads discussing the virtues of these plants.

Cheers,

Back