• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Epiphytes on cables?

BanditCoaxx

Seedling
Just a thought I had a while back. My original thought was could you tie epiphytes, at the time I was thinking anubias to an internal filter to camouflage per se the filter into the background? I know placement might impede the filters functionality but if placed right would it be okay to do. Any who I will be setting up a new scape toward the end of November and am thinking I'll have maybe one or two cables going down into the tank which I'm thinking, and this is all hypothetical, that I could tie epiphytes all the way down it to make it 'invisible' I've tried to Google it but I can't find anything which leads me to believe it's not a good idea?

ben.

Maybe not to the cable insulation directly, because there is nothing for the roots to attach to. But you could use some fabric around it that makes it possible... There is something like Hygrolon you could use...
http://www.dartfrog.co.uk/epiweb/hygrolon.html

As the website reveals this stuff is popular and often applied in the terrarium hobby for the same purpose, to put to smooth surfaces and make plants grow to it. I'sasort of nylon fabric and it can be used submerged. Or you could use a piece or coarse filter sponge to tie around the cable.

Other means that might be an option is to make a valse corner with a sponge wall as if it's a Hamburger matten filter. And plant up this piece of sponge and lead all cables behind that.

Or take a large enough in diameter piece of PVC tube, cut it in half along its length and glue sponge of hygrolon to it. Then place it in the corner and attach it with some sealant and lead the cables behind it.

Another possible option, take silicone sealant and smear it all over cable part that is submersed than cover this part with coconut fibre and peat litter. Leave it to cure and a piece of cable can look like a vine. Then tie plants and mosses to it. :)

More or less all techniques used in the terrarium hobby, that can be replicated in an aquarium as long as fibre material is used that can stand being permanently submerged. :)

Hi all,
Just a thought I had a while back. My original thought was could you tie epiphytes, at the time I was thinking anubias to an internal filter to camouflage per se the filter into the background? I know placement might impede the filters functionality but if placed right would it be okay to do. Any who I will be setting up a new scape toward the end of November and am thinking I'll have maybe one or two cables going down into the tank which I'm thinking, and this is all hypothetical, that I could tie epiphytes all the way down it to make it 'invisible' I've tried to Google it but I can't find anything which leads me to believe it's not a good idea?

ben.
You can do both of them, Marcel's (@zozo) are good suggestions. <"Moss might be better"> for the internal filter body?

cheers Darrel

I've done something similar where I just got a twig and attached moss to it, then tied that to the wire. It makes it easy to move should you need to.

Back