• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Enough turnoer or to mutch

SCAMPI

Seedling
Hello Ukaps members
I am novice regarding planted tanks, so i hope you can help me on my way.
I have a spare 5ft tank that holds 230ltrs with nothing in. with substrate rocks wood i think about 190 ltrs.
My wish is to have a high tech tank,so my question is if i run two JBLe1501 external filters will it be enough
turnover or to much?. Looking forward to your opinions so i will thank you all now.

Generally speaking the more turnover the better unless it's going to throw gravel about and uproot plants. They say aim for 10x the tank turn over per hour as a rule of thumb but a lot depends on positioning of the outlet etc.
Also canisters usually give their rating when empty, they usually turn over a lot less when filled with media.

Also canisters usually give their rating when empty, they usually turn over a lot less when filled with media.
The x10 rule is for the value quoted on the filters box, which as you point out is when the filter is run with no media and no piping. The e1501 is quoted 800-900l/hr with 1.5m hoses and new filter material, for your information.

Also use you manufacturers tank volume (230l) not your version of tank volume taking into account substrate etc as you have also forgotten to include the 12l canister capacity....

So in answer to your question, yes 2 off e1501 will be perfectly fine for a 230l tank.

Just remember to connect two filters like this.
BigTank2_zps6282955e.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-3-6_11-52-6.png
    upload_2017-3-6_11-52-6.png
    157.4 KB · Views: 94
ian_m thanks for the drawing supplied i can see me spending a lot of money on this tank
external filters have now been ordered

Back