• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Enough flow?

Bobtastic

I've just taken this video of the flow out of my 405 spray bar. I'm wondering if this is going enough?

http://static.photobucket.com/player.sw ... 181947.mp4

It is fitted in this tank atm and has a AM1000 fitted inline.

100_0744.jpg

I have a Korillia 1 in there too and have the option to add an Ehiem 2224 as well.

So the question is it enough flow?

Given the current plant mass maybe it should be OK. If you plant more then not enough. But you have Coralia so no worries that should cover flow.

Hi Bob,
What size tank do you have mate?
How much flow you'll need will depend on a few factors, volume, stocking, heavily planted?? ect.
You will want to get your x10 turnover, so for example if it's a 200 litre tank then you will want 2000 lph of flow.

The Fluval will give you 1300lph, the Koalia 1 I think is 1500lph and the Eheim is 700lph, so you have a total of 3500lph.

If you don't need upto 2000lph, (if it's less than a 200 litre) then I personally would go for the 2 filters, just to get the powerhead out of view as I find them unsightly (personal preferance). Also 2 filters = clearer water.

Toad

Hi Toad,

Tank is 240litres, but is quite deep. Hoping for a grassy look with some crypts thrown in.

I much prefer the idea of just running the 2 filters. I may have to look into swapping the Ehiem 2224 for a more powerful number, or get another 405.

The other factor is that I'm currently running an AM1000 inline on my 405 atm, but I also what to add my Hydor ET 300 in the mix too, so that I can get that out of the tank. But I'm concerned that will reduce the flow of the 405 to a useless rate.

Is it possible to stack spray bars, double decker stylie? Doing it that was I could have the Co2 loaded water sprayed the full length of the tank, and use the force of the 2nd spray bar to carry it round further.

Bob, just a thought on your circulation concerns, neither of the filters are really very big with the Fluval at 1300l stated and the Eheim at 500l accrding to there own web site. :thumbdown: If you get 50% of this then your having a good day :) , so thats approx 900l give or take. Then you need the AM and the Hydor driven, personally I think that would be a bad idea, you already are a bit low and guessing could lose another 30% or so, but what about this :thumbup: . Leave the 2 filters as filters and they will do a job for you for sure helped by the Koralia if necessary. Then make up the spraybar as you discussed, just one long enough for the job. Using something like the Eheim extension sets will give you all you need ready made and a usefull diameter and then on the pipework fit the on the inlet side fit the Hydor first, its safer as its on the natural syphon side , so it stays wet even if the pump fails. Then an Eheim or similar circ pump like a 1250 and on the output the AM 1000 back to tank through the spraybar. Then you have no loss on filtration (important) and a dedicated CO2 heater circuit, for the price of a pump, you have the rest :thumbup: . Just a great idea :oops: but if you dont like it just ignore it :clap: kind regards Colin.

Back