• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Endlers and soft water dilemma . . .

Wookii

Having now moved house, and gone through the processes of transporting three planted tanks, I will shortly be going through the process of condensing those three tanks down into a single 1500mm tank.

The large tank will be a soft water tank (KH <1), however one of the old tanks is/was my sons heavily planted low tech tap water tank with five male Endlers in.

So I am left with a dilemma with the Endlers which we have already looked after for two years.

I can either a) take them to a shop and they will likely spend their remaining days living in some horrible little tank with blue gravel and a bubbling skull or pirate ship, and likely dying from mistreatment, or b) gradually transition them over to the soft water tank to live out their final days (I read they only live for 2-3 years and they were fully grown when we bought them), despite the water hardness and pH being much less than is ideal for them. (Before anyone suggests it a separate tank for them isn't an option).

Thoughts on a postcard please . . .

From the way you have phrased it a) is a non starter, a fish is owned for their natural lifespan in my book too.
Though b) isn't exactly being kind to them either if the water is too soft.
If you don't know anyone who could take them, how about an appeal here? There must be someone in your vicinity who would care for them as you have.

This thread may be of help

Well I have a fairly roomy hard water tank but I’m probably 1 1/5 hrs at least from you, assuming ur still in Nottingham. (Though splitting the drive would be no biggie, gets me out of the house😊)

It would also be quite a ‘change of scenery’ for them. Low tech to high tech, small tank to large, small group to full community….not sure how well they would cope with those changes as older fish?

If u find ur struggling for other or better options however, the offer is there, I’ve got plenty of space for a retirement home for them. A wee handful of endler’s would be no bother at all 😊

Well I have a fairly roomy hard water tank but I’m probably 1 1/5 hrs at least from you, assuming ur still in Nottingham. (Though splitting the drive would be no biggie, gets me out of the house😊)

It would also be quite a ‘change of scenery’ for them. Low tech to high tech, small tank to large, small group to full community….not sure how well they would cope with those changes as older fish?

If u find ur struggling for other or better options however, the offer is there, I’ve got plenty of space for a retirement home for them. A wee handful of endler’s would be no bother at all 😊

Many thanks for the offer Kirsty, let’s see if we can sort out logistics.

Back