• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

empty white ramshorn snale shells

Hi all, this is something I have noticed in my tank and wanted to see if there is something that should worry me.
For two weeks in a row, I used 50% ro water 50% tap water for my water changes, in a 190l ei dosed co2 injected tank. Although I am not sure that this has happened simultaneously, I noticed empty white ramshorn snail shells in my tank (and no alive ramshorns to be seen...) No snail predators around. So... Could this be assosiated with a deficiency? I read that lack of calcium is having this effect on ramshorns. But its only 40l out of 80l that is ro water in the water changes... Tap water is supposed to be kH 9ish.

Plants look ok, some bba + very little staghorn.

Thanks!

Hi Christos,
Yes, the softer water has probably led to their demise. When I stopped doing water changes in my last tank all the snails died in a similar fashion.

I lost my rams horns once I started using ro to get the tds right down to keep crs.

do you remineralize your ro?

Hi dont have tds info. But other thanbthe ramshorn oblivion is this a sign of anything else going wrong? Thanks!

I was about to purchase a couple of snails couple of month back ,recommended for another tool in the algae war but they looked good anyway,until I noticed a lot of empty shells in the dealers tank,think I should have asked the question why as they were not to cheap

Back