• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed plant suggestion

PMC

Seedling
Hi all. I’m after suggestions for a plant that will happily grow emersed in the back corners of a nano jungle scape. Something like a fern of some sort. There won’t be any room for any planter/special media for a plant so will have to be happy with either roots in water or in the planted tank substrate built up in the corners.

Pictures would be appreciated if you can. Thanks!

Pogostemon erectus, Rotala sp. and Crypts...

42271203582_222f25bf61_b.jpg

Hi, you say nano jungle scape, so I'm assuming you don't want anything massive. Pothos can be controlled but has quite big leaves when mature, peace lillies, monstera and maidenhair fern are wonderful plants for emersed growth but grow very rampant and quickly take over.
I'm not the biggest fan of fittonia because I don't like the colouration but it will grow with wet roots as will hemigraphis repaid (both normally found in the house plant section of your local garden centre).
Another nice plant is ficus pumila, there are various cultivars including an oak leaf form. It can be seen here DOOA Terra DIY by Rfck
Here Taiwan Bee not so nano

I do really like Tims suggestion to just let some nice plants grow out the top. It might be your best bet for maintaining a sense of scale.

Also, I quite liked what mr.teapot did: Green Pekoe Pond - 40 litres

Reactions: PMC
With constant wet feet then lot falls or stands with the light intensity you provide... If it is high tech and high light then it also will be a tad easier on the emersed growth and significantly extends the choices you could make. Emersed plants will definitively favour the extra CO² at their roots and what gasses off from the tank.

Low tech and low light will limit your choices significantly.

Plants that I've personally experienced and seen doing good in relatively low light setups emerged are
Hydrocotyl sp.
Chamaedorea
Syngonium
Cyprus
Spathiphyllum
Most Araceae sp.
Anthurium
Ficus sp.
Philodendron sp.
Bamboo.

But as said, hard to say not knowing the light intensity they will get, it's trial and error. If you do an internet search with the query "Hydroponic plant decor" you will find some more inspirations and sp. of plants that can grow in a pot of water without substrate on the window sill. Aquariums usually are far away from natural light sources then all depends on the artificial light above it.

Last edited:
Great info. Thank you for all of your replies. Appreciated 👍

Back