• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Emersed growth - Hardiest plants?

Riverside Scaper

I had some Guinea Grass growing emersed but have recently removed it as it grew too big and started shading the plants below. It was growing through my ADA light fixture :D

I've since tried various other plants with limited success, so far the only success has been with Hygrophila Pinnatifida, the failures have been with Anubias Augustifolia and Nana Pinto. They shoot new leaves constantly but then crisp up a few days later.

Are there any epiphyte plants that are fairly hardy in their emersed state that don't require misting/fogging or spraying with water daily? I've seen people grow Bolbitis but this has never worked for me.

What have your experiences been?

Rotala rotundifolia
Persicaria 'Sao Paolo' (does really well)
Pretty much all Hydrocotyle sp.
Murdannia keisak
Ludwigia palustris 'Super Red'
Lindernia rotundifolia
Pogostemon erectus
Phyllantus fluitans (when it reaches critical mass it will grow upwards almost like a stem plant)
Eleocharis sp.
Lilaeopsis brasilliensis
Utricularia graminifolia
Lagenandra sp.
Tonina fluviatilis

These are some of the ones that have done well for me at lower humidity.

Hi all,
Have a look at @Kezzab 's thread <"Messing about">.
As far as epiphytes go Java Fern can be gradually adapted to grow with less humidity.
I think Java Fern (Microsorum pteropus) is a more <"difficult one emersed">, and needs high humidity. <"Echinodorus bleheri"> is another one that like high humidity.
so far the only success has been with Hygrophila Pinnatifida
<"Hygrophila corymbosa"> is a good one as well.

The easiest one is <"Cyperus "alternifolius">, you can get it as house plant, but it does really <"well growing emersed">.

cheers Darrel

Thanks for the list of plants. Pogostemon Erectus and Rotala Bonsai are on the list for a shallow scape I'm planning.

Would it be worth trying to slowly acclimate some Bucephalandra or Anubias Cofeefolia slowly? Have them growing emersed but covered in a propagation box and slowly add more holes into the box over time so it adapts to less humidity.

Thanks for the list of plants. Pogostemon Erectus and Rotala Bonsai are on the list for a shallow scape I'm planning.
Would it be worth trying to slowly acclimate some Bucephalandra or Anubias Cofeefolia slowly? Have them growing emersed but covered in a propagation box and slowly add more holes into the box over time so it adapts to less humidity.
I've been having a go with A. coffeefolia and A. gracilis for a while now and whilst they are still in the running it has not been easy I would say. I've also tried Anubias nana ‘Coin’, Bucephalandra pygmaea ‘Bukit Kelam’ and Echinodorus grisebachii ‘Tropica’, none of which were successful. My next iteration of emersed attempts I think will not include either Anubias or Bucephalandra unfortunately, even those these do great submersed for me.

Hi all,
I think it probably will work. I've had Anubias grow-out of the tank <"without any problem">.

cheers Darrel

Hydrocotyle verticillata, the hardiest of all, even survived negative temperature in the north of the France, i had rotala's, pogostemon, ludwigia, etc near, all was frozen. She even survived hot summer last year !!!

Last summer i was gardening, when i found that plant under some terrestrial plant leaves, hiding from the sun, rooting in my alkaline soil. I was impressed, i have a special affection for that plant since.

Hydrocotyle verticillata, the hardiest of all, even survived negative temperature in the north of the France, i had rotala's, pogostemon, ludwigia, etc near, all was frozen. She even survived hot summer last year !!!

Last summer i was gardening, when i found that plant under some terrestrial plant leaves, hiding from the sun, rooting in my alkaline soil. I was impressed, i have a special affection for that plant since.
I thought it was native to the Americas?

Hydrocotiyle Verticillata:)
Cris

Attachments

• PXL_20230315_163314579.jpg
    PXL_20230315_163314579.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 133
The "Montecarlo" has begun to adapt and expand in its emersed form, the leaves are a little bigger than the immersed ones, it took almost 3 months, perhaps also thanks to the higher temperatures.

Cris

Attachments

• PXL_20230612_165826671.jpg
    PXL_20230612_165826671.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 105
Back