• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis sp

MOBYS

Seedling
Hi,bit of newbie here,I just brought some eleocharis sp which are quite tall (35cm)which are really like.I have a low tech tank with hard water.I dose once a week with seachem flourish.Lights 8 hours a day.Can anyone give me any tips on keeping these as I don't want to lose these,as I am still learning.
Thks Dave.

Last edited:
If this is the Eleocharis sp. from Tropica, it is really not that difficult to grow.
It will tolerate (relatively) low levels of light, but prefere a desent amount of light. Added CO2 is not essential, though the plant will benefit from it.
- sometimes, but really not that often, the plant will dismiss some of the straws, when adapting to submerse. These are unsightly and can be gently pulled off the plant.
Once established Eleocharis sp. will grow runners in the substrate and new tufts of straws will show up around the original plant(s)- sometimes quite far from. These can be gently separated and re-planted where wanted.
Hope this will ensure success with your Eleocharis sp. ..........

Thks Mick,I actually brought these in bunches at my local Lfs,I've never seen these sold like before so l brought 4 big bunches.I was a bit wary as I never had much luck with hair grass.Hoping these do better.
Cheers Dave.

For "bunched" Eleocharis,there is no guarantee the above will apply. These are more likely, than not, another species (there are plenty tall Eleocharis species to choose from - and they are honestly not all good aquarium plants).
My best advice is to plant relatively deep (= 3 cm.) and give them a well lighted place to adapt to submerse. Plants will likely benefit from some help from "root tabs" (=fertiliser-capsules inserted right under the plant). If/when successfully adapted (=when they grow new straws and send out runners), maybe re-plant some to less favorable places in aquarium.

Back