• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eleocharis parvula - how to trim

aaronnorth said:
i have some Eleocharis parvula (dwarf hairgrass), to cut it down do you just cut it off top like grass? I want a low carpet to the right of my tank as the left is heavily planted.

Also, what is the minimum hieght it can be cut too?

Hi aaronnorth, are you planting it for the first time? if so this is how i did mine, before planting it is best to trim the roots to encourage new growth, then also trim the tops off to about 1/4 of an inch then plant into the substrate you can split the plants into very small portions this way you wil have a nice carpet thats not too thick, also by doing it this way you should not have too much algae trouble, you can trim it quite low as i used to it soon grows back as long as you have the right condition of course, hope this helps regards john.

You can cut it right back down to substrate level if you wish. If it is emerged growth, then I recommend cutting it right back straight away to avoid algae issues.

Dave.

thanks, it has been in there about a 1.5 months now and spreading nicely, all plants are doing well, my a.swords have sent out a shoot and produced 3 plantlets and 1 of the plantlets has sent out a new shoot and some more plantlets are growing on that, it's the best plant growth i have ever had. :D

Re:

aaronnorth said:
thanks, it has been in there about a 1.5 months now and spreading nicely, all plants are doing well, my a.swords have sent out a shoot and produced 3 plantlets and 1 of the plantlets has sent out a new shoot and some more plantlets are growing on that, it's the best plant growth i have ever had. :D
Aaron, How did you get on with this?
Soon I'm going to have to trim mine for the first time.

Re: Re:

Superman said:
aaronnorth said:
Aaron, How did you get on with this?
Soon I'm going to have to trim mine for the first time.

i got on fine with it, it was suceptible to algae in areas with less flow however.

i cant find a pic of when i trimmed it but i cut it back to 1cm and it grew back:
asdhl.jpg

Back