• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eichornia azurea

zozo

I lately got my hands on a few cuttings of this lovely plant Eichornia azurea..
eichhornia-azurea-4f7a025abb279.jpg

Trying to find some more info, but it seems to be rarely to find in regular aquarium keeping. I read this plant is best placed in tanks higher than 50 cm because of it's tendency to change growform when it reaches the surface.
Eichhornia_crassipes_A.jpg

Now i'm going to place this plant in a 35 cm high tank.. :)

Are there any people at UKAPS growing this plant? Anybody experience with this in shallow setups?
What to expect if grown shallow??

My word...that's amazing, those flowers are beautiful, are they from the rare plant guy that lives 15 mins away? I'm definitely following this one...

No, got them via a fellow member from a Dutch forum just saw it passing by and thought with a look at the first picture "Gotcha!!" All tho i was planning to keep all plants Asia in my new tank, for this i gladly make an exeption. But i have no idea how this will work out in a shallow scape and if i can ceep up with it's alledged fast growth to keep it in both forms submersed and emersed. :) It seems once it has changed it wont turn back.. Only got 2 stems, definitively need to keep it low for a while to get runners..

If I am not wrong @alex08 had it in his "From tranquility island to a Dutch Touch" tank.
Lovely plant but I think it can grow very large...

Jordi

I looked it up Jordi. :) I guess you mistaken it with Pogestemon Erectus in that scape from Alex, one which is also on my wishlist for my new scape.. They look a bit simullar, but the emersed growth (flower) of P. Erectus is even more beautifull. That one i'm planning in the left corner. :)

Been trying to get my hands on this in the UK for ages! Nice find, it's a lovely looking plant.

Posting from my mobile, please excuse brevity!

Well sometimes you have to get out the box and look further than UK.. Now i can image living on a rock surounded by water it aint that easy. But i also have several plants in my collection i couldn't find in my country and found them in belgium and germany, just ordered them via postage. But anyway, if this plant works out for me, we can work something out.. ;) If it loves me as much is i do love her i'll be trimming soon i guess. I'll think of you when it comes to that.. Posting to the UK isn't very expensive it fits in an envelope and depending on it's weight € 5 stamps at the most. So if you realy want it i can help you getting this plant in the UK as well.. :) Glad to..

Thanks Roy.. Comming from you means a lot to me.. I don't feel like beating you by far when it comes to beeing a greenfinger.. :)

Tom i only got to stems now, which haven't even rooted yet. And still are in my (to) small propagator tank. Me too have my fingers crossed if i get it going in my new tank. No idea what to expect.. I'll guess it will take some time.. I hope i can make you happy too.. :thumbup:

Eichornia azurea is really not very difficult to grow - and once growing, it's quite virile and fast.
Reaching surface will indeed induce emerse growing, different leaves and sometimes flowers. Mine were considerably less purple, than your pic. though. It can go back from emerse- to submerse growing, but it is easier to trim, and keep submerse. It will grow rather "volumen-ious" once in good growth.
It's a nice, but big plant, IMO quite much resembling Heteranthera zostetifolia, though more "flat" and far less branching.
Good luck, Marcel.......

Ok!! Thanks a million Mick, that's good info i can do something with. See if i can keep it in check in a actualy to small tank.. As i see from the size it has now already, that's going to be a challange.. :)

If I am not wrong @alex08 had it in his "From tranquility island to a Dutch Touch" tank.
Sorry guys, i only had Eichhornia crassipes (floater) and Eichhornia diversifoliain my previous setups.
Eichhornia azurea tends to grow large and i couldn't see it "fit" in my plans.

Eichhornia azurea tends to grow large and i couldn't see it "fit" in my plans.

That's what i'm afraid of as well.. :) But i see where it ends.. Here it is, what i got now, 2 stems not even rooted yet.. And already a very dominant appearance.
DSCF5409 (Kopie).JPG

That's great to hear Tom, i realy was afraid that this delicate plant wouldn't survive 5 days in a closed envelope smashed in a post bag and arrive all black and dead.
Thanks for sharing that.. :)

As Mick already said it grows rather fast, mine rooted and grew already 15 cm to the the surface after less then 2 weeks in a low light non co2 tank. Did trim and replanted the stems and these are rooted within 2 weeks on and doubled in size. Only the new side shoot keep waiting, not seeing them yet. Me too i'm going for both forms, hopefully with flowers.

those flowers look awesome, looks like it'll block a lot of light out, will you be able to grow it flowering out the top without the leaves underneath going all dead looking?

Back