• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI to Lean

Kevin2016

Hello!

I’m using the EI method and on Saturday I clean the tank and change 50% of the water.
Right after, I add the Macro for the whole week and the day after Micro for the whole week. There are no problems at all.

I would like to lower the nitrates to get more color out of the Rotala’s and Pinnitifida.

Can I just continue this routine but add less Nitrates?

I’m dosing per week:
Macro
40ppm nitrates
4ppm KH2PO4

Micro
1ppm iron
4ppm MgSO4
(Traces)

I have a lot of ferns and Bolbitis.
Some Japonica Blyxa, Monte Carlo, bucephalandra’s. Rotala Orange Juice, Rotala Blood Red.

Tank is 200 liter with Co2.

Hello!

I’m using the EI method and on Saturday I clean the tank and change 50% of the water.
Right after, I add the Macro for the whole week and the day after Micro for the whole week. There are no problems at all.

I would like to lower the nitrates to get more color out of the Rotala’s and Pinnitifida.

Can I just continue this routine but add less Nitrates?

I’m dosing per week:
Macro
40ppm nitrates
4ppm KH2PO4

Micro
1ppm iron
4ppm MgSO4
(Traces)

I have a lot of ferns and Bolbitis.
Some Japonica Blyxa, Monte Carlo, bucephalandra’s. Rotala Orange Juice, Rotala Blood Red.

Tank is 200 liter with Co2.
lowering nitrates will not do much on it's own.
limiting growth by nitrogen is what you need to do. since you're dosing super high levels you'd probably have to cut No3 dosing to ~25-30% before you see any effect.
I do not really recommend nitrate limitation, since it's tricky to get right and your dosing targets need to change as the tank evolves. If I were you I'd get some plants that turn red without N-limitation. any reason you're dosing such high levels of traces? your fish and shrimp might be a bit happier with lower micros:) . just my 2 cents, cheers.

lowering nitrates will not do much on it's own.
limiting growth by nitrogen is what you need to do. since you're dosing super high levels you'd probably have to cut No3 dosing to ~25-30% before you see any effect.
I do not really recommend nitrate limitation, since it's tricky to get right and your dosing targets need to change as the tank evolves. If I were you I'd get some plants that turn red without N-limitation. any reason you're dosing such high levels of traces? your fish and shrimp might be a bit happier with lower micros:) . just my 2 cents, cheers.
Hi!

Thank you for your prompt response!

I will keep it the way it is. Don’t want to harm the fish/shrimps/plants.

I just followed the instruction manual with the salts I bought. I’m using this for a few years now, no problem with the fishes and plants.

Is there a problem with the micro ?

To be honest your tank doesn't have much in the way of fast growing plants - you could likely comfortably get away with half your current dose (with the exception of the MgSO4) and still be at EI levels.

As for getting plants to go red, as @plantnoobdude say, it's far easier just to buy plants that are naturally red.

To be honest your tank doesn't have much in the way of fast growing plants - you could likely comfortably get away with half your current dose (with the exception of the MgSO4) and still be at EI levels.

As for getting plants to go red, as @plantnoobdude say, it's far easier just to buy plants that are naturally red.
Will do!

Back