• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI salts for a houseplant fertiliser recipe

Hi all,
Anyone experience of making a houseplant fertiliser from EI salts? - Simple as that really!
It is has got everything you need for your houseplants, so you can follow exactly the same approach. I use the water change water for watering the plants, in the summer I add a little bit of liquid feed as well.

Usually I'd suggest some thing like <"Miracle Gro" as a cheaper option>.
I've been using <"Miracle-Gro® Water Soluble All Purpose Plant Food"> recently (not recommended for aquariums because of its urea content) and it is bright blue.

156dcf01-73f5-4424-9eda-4104ad63cd34._SL300__.jpg

I've been mixing enough into a two litre milk carton to give me a light sky blue tint and watering the house plants with it. I've also sloshed a little bit into the tanks. I'm not recommending this, and it isn't very scientific, but so far so good.
But I know that all gardening bits are in short supply at the moment.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I'm unsure if I've explained myself very well but it was aimed at using the salts I have to make a fertiliser for house plants/succulents etc.
Yes, you can use exactly the same salts for your house plants etc.

All plants needs all the nutrients necessary for plant growth, and they all take them up as ions from solution, even if they are succulents etc.

The main difference is that terrestrial fertilisers usually contain ammonia, or urea, as their nitrogen source and aquatic fertilisers don't, <"because of the toxicity issues">.

cheers Darrel

@Andrew Butler, Are you looking for a more expensive solution for house plants? The EI salts are way more expensive than cheap off the shelf ferts you can buy for house plants. Also with house plants it's better to feed to soil by using organic ferts so that the soil structure becomes healthy.

But yes you can mix it up if you like just like usual although for a lawn I would increase the nitrogen by factor of several times. Not much PO4 may be needed depending on your soil.

Back