• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Does the estimative index method work in soft water?

• It will definitely work in soft water.

• Absolutely useless in soft water

• i didn't try

Results are only viewable after voting.

mrtank50

Hello everyone, friends.

I have a question on my mind for a long time.

1st question =
Does the ei method work in very soft water with 0 Kh - 3 Gh?

Or will the ei fertilizer rates be too high?

Have you tried the ei method in soft water before?

If yes, can you share the tank pictures?

2:question
What are the best micro element fertilizer rates for the ei method?
Mn-zn-b-cu-mo

3:question
Which tds value did you get the best efficiency from?

Tank specifications
high tech
-Island amazonia
-chiharos wrgb 2
-co2 40ppm

Last edited:
5 Gh is not very soft water. It's a medium hard water.

That's still not very soft water.
Anyway, you can rest assured that you may apply EI schedule. The only warning is this: EI does not dose any calcium, and only a few magnesium. You should learn from your water supplier the values of Ca and Mg in your water. Perhaps you'll have to enhance EI dosing with some Ca and/or Mg.
Another note: If your alkalinity is really 0 °dKH, then 40 ppm CO2 may push your pH to very low value.

My tap water is described as Soft to Very Soft from mostly the Lake District , using CO2 and EI to John Whelan's formula APFUK everything did well,never remineralised . For a non CO2 aquarium EI would have to be a fraction of that dosing

Does the ei method work in very soft water with 0 Kh - 3 Gh?
Yes, a lot of people nowadays use RO water and use EI dosing or a variation of it. Don't get stuck with the standard NO3-P-K of 30-4-30 Ei numbers. Those are mere references. Most people don't go that high.

Back