• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

EI dosing frequency

markk

I dose my tank following the EI approach and am using dosing pumps that can be configured, via my own software, to dose to any schedule I want.

So I'm now considering moving to a more 'continuous' dosing approach - i.e something like macro and micro every day (or even twice a day). I would still add the same overall amounts each week.

Reading through all of the older posts, the main issue that comes up time and again is the interaction between the macro and micro leading to precipitation - but the logic doesn't quite add up for me at the moment.

Given that the aim is to have non-limiting concentrations of all elements, surely there are levels of phosphate in the water at all times that will lead to precipitation regardless of when the micro ferts are added?

You can of course stagger the addition of micro and macro to minimise the effect (i.e. maximum micro levels when macro are at their lowest).

Any thoughts?

Regards, Mark

I dosed tropica's flurish (micros) after a water change [dont ask why...] and followed up with macro ei solution. After that I got precipitation - a white deposit on plants and rockwork. But I did that within 2 minutes maybe...

The interaction can appear in the bottles (mixing macro's and micro's in one bottle), in the tank there is no risc, to diluted.

That was, generally speaking, my assumption, but...

I dosed tropica's flurish (micros) after a water change [dont ask why...] and followed up with macro ei solution. After that I got precipitation - a white deposit on plants and rockwork. But I did that within 2 minutes maybe...

... some say otherwise:)

I'll experiment with a more frequent schedule over the coming weeks - but will ensure the 2 are not dosed at the same time.

Thanks for the responses guys,

regards, Mark

Back