• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ei dosing and water changes

Puntius

Hello everyone

Just a quick one I read that a 50% water change is needed once a week when using ie dosing. Sometimes it is difficult to do such a big water change so mostly I do two wc per week. How does everyone else do it. I also read that Clive said excess ferts don't cause algae. So not really bothered.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I've been dosing EI method for the last 2weeks and finding that my plants aren't using all the nutrients as my tds is around 700! I belive the water change is to reset the tank.

I follow the instructions on the starter kit a brought.

Not sure if/how 2water changes would work

Sent from my G8141 using Tapatalk

I do want to do a once a week 50% water change just need to get another bin to keep the other half in.

50% weekly when on 100% EI dose.

May not need 5O% WC, but cleaning glass means more algea in water, plus disturbing detritus from plants, roots and AS gets most flowing around tank. Filter removes most then remove 50% distribution as I go. Refill, priming at start of refill, then clean filter. Surprising how quick the filter gets dirty.

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface

The water change is not only to reset your fert balance,remove excess.
As your plant health improve growth rates improve so does the waste your plant will produce.This puts a greater organic load on your tank.The only way to remove this is with water changes in a closed system.This is the main purpose of the large water change in the EI routine?
If it was just to remove excess ferts you could just stop dosing for a few days it would be gone?

Just a quick one I read that a 50% water change is needed once a week when using ie dosing.
Two reasons 50% is needed/recommended.

1. Resets the ferts levels to known (with in a range at least) level. So no testing of water required as ferts levels are known.
2. Biggest reason, removes organic waste that is prime food for algae. As the tank is high tech (ie CO2 or liquid carbon) the plants are producing large amounts of organics in the water, and unless removed will result in algae moving in very quickly.

I find that if I miss a water change it is pretty obvious due to algae starting to appear.

Could you advise why the need for a bin to keep the other half in.

paul
Cause my current bin can only keep half of the wc volume, bought another one so now I can do one 125 liter 50%wc. Which U did today. Also got a nice gift from my one bud a 1250lph water pump which makes my wc a breeze saves so much time...

Cause my current bin can only keep half of the wc volume, bought another one so now I can do one 125 liter 50%wc. Which U did today. Also got a nice gift from my one bud a 1250lph water pump which makes my wc a breeze saves so much time...

Are you storing the old water for watering the garden or storing the water prior to a water change.

Paul

Do you run an airstone in the tub as well for that time?

Sent from Mountolympus via neural interface
No I don't run airstone. Just let it stand outside baking in the sun..

Back