• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Pump

Do any of you have experience of the Eheim Universal 600 pump? I’m wondering how much noise it makes.
I’m getting fed up with the noise from one of my canister filters so I’m thinking of making something up myself using the Universal 600. It does I suppose lend itself to being enclosed in it’s own sound suppression enclosure but I’m just wondering how good/bad it is out of the box. TIA.

I have a few Eheim universal pumps in different sizes, never had a problem with any of them, some are more than 20yrs old, great for water changes👍👍👍
The compact range in the other hand, in my experience are a waste of money,

I currently use the eheim CompactON 300 in one of my setups. I brought it as a replacement for a very loud cheap pump that came with the tank (think it was called sun) and it's very quite and I have no fears on reliability as I have used eheim for years without a single failure.

I found that the one i purchased (compact) was noisey, the universal pumps i have, are pretty much silent, and very reliable

Do any of you have experience of the Eheim Universal 600 pump? I’m wondering how much noise it makes.
I’m getting fed up with the noise from one of my canister filters so I’m thinking of making something up myself using the Universal 600. It does I suppose lend itself to being enclosed in it’s own sound suppression enclosure but I’m just wondering how good/bad it is out of the box. TIA.
If your goal is to reduce noise and operate the pump 24/7 then you could have a look at DC pumps, which are quieter and more efficient than AC pumps. DC pumps are commonly used in reef aquariums and as sump return pumps.

If your goal is to reduce noise and operate the pump 24/7 then you could have a look at DC pumps, which are quieter and more efficient than AC pumps. DC pumps are commonly used in reef aquariums and as sump return pumps.
I went down the same rabbit hole, and am using a Jecod DCP-2500, which is an adjustable DC pump, aimed more at the reef/sump market. It's not completely silent, however the sound it does make is quiet and inoffensive when compared to the Eheim 2217 it replaced. I'd compare the sound to that of a quiet fridge, it's at a much higher frequency (the Eheim it replaced was a low frequency hum and drove me mad). Some of the more premium branded DC pumps are said to be as good as silent, but i've yet to try one.

I went down the same rabbit hole, and am using a Jecod DCP-2500, which is an adjustable DC pump, aimed more at the reef/sump market. It's not completely silent, however the sound it does make is quiet and inoffensive when compared to the Eheim 2217 it replaced. I'd compare the sound to that of a quiet fridge, it's at a much higher frequency (the Eheim it replaced was a low frequency hum and drove me mad). Some of the more premium branded DC pumps are said to be as good as silent, but i've yet to try one.
Problem is their price... not sure if the mid-range pumps (which are already 2-3x the price of that Jecod) are as silent as the higher end models though...

I found that the one i purchased (compact) was noisey, the universal pumps i have, are pretty much silent, and very reliable
I can only go on my experience and the compactON 300 I brought so so quite, I have mine in a internal chamber style filter box so it's in tight, no rattles no sound at all, I can hear my Mrs tank over my 2 and it's the other side of the room.

Mine was on a timer, i could hear every time it switched on, i replaced it with a universal
Perhaps mine was faulty, the sound and plasticy nature of it condemned it to the junk pile

Mine was on a timer, i could hear every time it switched on, i replaced it with a universal
Perhaps mine was faulty, the sound and plasticy nature of it condemned it to the junk pile
It's definitely plastic and the cheaper version of the universal range without doubt. Maybe as you say a faulty one, pumps and filters in my tanks must be silent as my tanks are in my living room and I hate and humming or buzzing when watching TV or listening to radio. Also mine is only the little 300 so maybe the less power and flow rate helps it a bit.

To be honest, i cannot recall the pump size, i used it to keep a “dead spot” behind some rocks, clean, it cycled on every 30 mins for 5 mins
I was keeping L046 at the time, black sand, showed every speck of muck, i was attempting to keep the tank as free of organic matter as possible, the fish didn’t mind it, in fact they “played” in the current
I had three such pumps, which came on in succession. Don’t have such a setup now
I reduced the number of tanks i had as they were taking over my life, just the 3 now 😂👍

Back