• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Pro3e 2078 power supply adapter

Madhav

Hello experts....

Recently I lend my spare Eheim 2078 Pro 3e to my friend when his filter was dead. Unfortunately, something went wrong and by next morning my 2078 also dead.
after some investigation, realized both power supplies burnt and filters are working fine....

Eheim 2078 power supply is rated 24V 2A, I managed to get hold of a DIN rail PSU which is rated 24V 20A (Phoenix Contact PS/1AC/24DC/20)
my question is : can I use this Power Supply Unit to power up both filters so that they can draw 4A out of available 20A current?
or this 20A will damage the pumps?

I tried both filters with 24V 2.5A and 3A adapters for an hour or so and they are working fine but I cant use those adapters for these pumps.

Any electrical experts with an answer?

The 24V 20A DIN PSU should be fine.
They both have 24V DC output.
1627368117409.png
1627368142040.png

Stated by the straight line with the dashed line underneath after the 24V in Output section. I can't find if both devices are "Rectified" or "Smoothed" output.

It is the Voltage you need to worry about. The current of 20A is what the PSU is capable of giving out. The filter will only draw as much current as needed.

You would have to make sure you wire the filters in parallel: https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/textbook/direct-current/chpt-7/what-is-a-series-parallel-circuit/

The question you have to ask is why did the PSU's fail in the first place? Are the filters trying to draw too much "Current" because they have a fault?
If the filters are at fault then giving them a power supply that is capable of giving them more "current" will be very dangerous.
They could burst into flames as the filters have no over current protection inside. That is all done in the PSU units.

I would get someone, with the knowledge and a test meter, to have a look at the filters, just in case the electrics have become faulty.

Thank you for the reply, you have a valid concern....

My filter has been working fine for the last 7-8 years on my tank, got burnt only when it was connected to my friend's tank similar to the way what happened to his filter, same socket of the extension box. I doubt something wrong with his 230V supply side.

I have tested my filter with another 24V 2.5A adapter for few hours and it was working fine.
any way your point is noted and will monitor the filters when they are connected to this power supply.

Back