• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Double taps cheaper alternatives?

I have one Eheim connector leak on me after many years but generally they are ok.

I have since switched to Shiruba taps because the 12/16 and 16/22 are interchangeable. Their hose locking mechanism I feel is more "secure" than Eheim. Don't think the brand is available in UK but interchangeability between 12/16 and 16/22 might be a useful feature when choosing what to buy.

No problems with the Shirubas since I posted this in 2021, and I have 4 pairs of Shiruba double taps in my setup.

Shame the dont make then for 20/25mm hose. I have searched everywhere for them but to no avail!
I wanted something like this too, ended up ordering parts to make a DIY version. The parts have arrived, but I havent assembled them yet (so I cant guarantee they are good).
Its a 25mm union and two of these valves with the hose tail on the end. They will need to be glued together with a small piece of 25mm pipe between the fittings.
I do wish the hose tail on these was a bit bigger diameter, they are about 15-16mm internally. 16/22 hose can be forced onto fairly large fittings.
Because of the internal diameter these will be best suited for a 16/22 hose where they will not add any significant reduction, unlike premade options.
For an actual 20/25mm hose I would order ball valves that dont have that hose tail, and add the hose tail for 25mm separately. It will only end up being a little bit longer in total.

Hi all,

I think that might be the answer, for <"whatever reason Eheim"> seem to have lost their long term reputation for quality in recent years.

cheers Darrel
Agreed for the first time this year i am disapointed with ehiem. The plastic isnt as thick i have two broken taps here from the new classic 600/2217 seems noisey compared to the old one i had 10 yrs ago in the uk. The taps were solid yrs ago now poor moldings.

I have taps from a 2213 from 7ish years ago and taps from a 2217 from 6 months ago and they seem the same to me. Either way I haven’t had any trouble with them but to be fair I’m an eheim fan boy. ;)

I love @Sid.scapes quick release metal ones! but they are super expensive! lol
My Eheim have been running fine for the last 10 years and I brought them off a forum member so no idea how old they are!

Ive been pretty disapointed with the taps with our 2 new ehiems. Ive had two just snap off and leak in the cabinet, id kept an older pair that i shipped here with us to nz from the uk,( having no tanks knew theyd have some use) the plastic is thicker on the older ones. Ive replace the brocken ones with those cheap black ones on ali express, so far so good.

Not a fan of the disconection method vs the ease of the ehiem but they were only a few bucks/squid each.

Now i have taps for my taps lol as i ordered extra now i can strip and clean things better , one on each inlet and out let the one near the filter and two on the heater manifold lol.

Back