• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Double taps cheaper alternatives?

MrClockOff

Hi all,

Came across these double taps Eheim Double Tap for Hose, 16/22 mm Amazon product ASIN B0014FM98G and wonder how many of you are using them? Would you recommend to get those?
Are there cheaper alternatives of similar quality for less?

I’d need 2 sets for inlet and outlet and Eheim would set me back by £50.. there are JBL which would cost £30. I trust JBL but seen feedback where the taps may leak..

I've been thinking this same thing recently. I need quite a few.

I found a qanvee one on Amazon for £12.99. QANVEE Aquarium Fish Tank Hose Pipe 12-16mm 16-22mm Quick Release Connector Water Flow Control Valve Connector Adapter Aquarium Filter Connector (16/22mm) Amazon product ASIN B08GYL7G5V
When you mention the price are you talking about for a pair?

@Courtneybst yes I did mean for a pair. Eheim price per unit is £25, JBL is £15
The one you’ve mentioned is even cheaper and has 10 ratings with great reviews

I guess whatever I choose I’ve to have spare one in case of the leak

I’m reconsidering my initial plan and maybe I just get one single tap to just insert between CO2 reactor outlet and aquarium outlet pipe so I can disconnect it without siphoning water back from aquarium outlet. The inlet of CO2 reactor is connected to Oase BioMaster which already has built in stopcock.

I’m just scared of those leaks from reviews

I’m just scared of those leaks from reviews
Leaks from what?
There are reviews on Amazon for both Eheim and JBL and reviewers complain that after few months the taps are leaking. JBL has common fault where quick release bit is compressed into the tap starts leaking. There’s even the video with the leak

Hi all,
The one you’ve mentioned is even cheaper and has 10 ratings with great reviews
I bought some 12 - 16 mm QANVEE ones and they have been fine so far, but they are a bit bigger than the Eheim alternatives.
There are reviews on Amazon for both Eheim and JBL and reviewers complain that after few months the taps are leaking
I've not had issues with the Eheim one leaking, and some of mine are ~15 years old (and they were nearly all pre-owned when I bought them). I haven't had the Quanvee ones for long, so can't pass comment on them.

cheers Darrel

Hi all,

I bought some 12 - 16 mm QANVEE ones and they have been fine so far, but they are a bit bigger than the Eheim alternatives.

I've not had issues with the Eheim one leaking, and some of mine are ~15 years old (and they were nearly all pre-owned when I bought them). I haven't had the Quanvee ones for long, so can't pass comment on them.

cheers Darrel
I have just two explanations then
  • either poor handling causes the mentioned leaks
  • or it was some manufacturing defect

@dw1305 thanks for feedback

I have one Eheim connector leak on me after many years but generally they are ok.

I have since switched to Shiruba taps because the 12/16 and 16/22 are interchangeable. Their hose locking mechanism I feel is more "secure" than Eheim. Don't think the brand is available in UK but interchangeability between 12/16 and 16/22 might be a useful feature when choosing what to buy.

Hi all,

I think that might be the answer, for <"whatever reason Eheim"> seem to have lost their long term reputation for quality in recent years.

cheers Darrel
Yep, I’ve got the filter and power head and can’t complain but the heater is awful quality. Can’t calibrate it and setting the correct temperature was a guess work.. had slowly adjust the thermostat and constantly measure the temperature until it stabilised at the point where I wanted it.

Hi all,
Hows everyone's tap's holding up?
Since the original thread the Quanvee ones haven't leaked, but neither of any of my Eheim ones, some of which are ~20 years old.

cheers Darrel

Back