• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim Classic Humming noise

Has anyone pinned down the cause of this? I’ve contacted the seller, hopefully they’ll send out a replacement head.

Check for air trapped in canister.
Check o-ring for damage
Apply lubricant to better seal o-ring
Clean impeller
Make sure flow is not obstructed entering the filter

Whenever my classic starts making noise, one of the above has been the cause.

There’s no trapped air. The impeller is clean and nothing is restricting the flow. The O ring is fine, they come lubricated.
I actually ran the filter without the basket and media to check it worked and it made a humming noise then. I hoped it would be quieter in use with media in it. Even though it was the wrong kind of sound I thought it may be vibration going through the cabinet but it’s still noisy if I hold it in my hands. I can reduce the noise by maybe ten percent if I put hand pressure on the top of the casing.
There is very little vibration.

I had the exact same model many years ago and it was virtually silent in use.

Try coating the impeller in silicone grease. I've had a few powerheads and filters over the years that needed this just while they wore in.

Any hoses touching part of the cabinet?

I’ve already greased the impeller. Not something I ever needed to do in the past but I read about it a while back. I’ll check the hoses.

The seller has asked me to return the head. I’ve been out all day today and when I came in it’s even noisier than it was yesterday. It’s developed a rattle as well as the hum which is even louder. I’ve shaken the canister and a small amount of air has come out but it’s still just as noisy.

Back