• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eheim 2229

Cant find the recent thread but heres a previous post by clive mate...

Re: Ehiem wet and dry filters
Unread postby ceg4048 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:11 am
Hi Mick,
Wet/Dry filters are fine, especially in non-CO2 tanks. There is absolutely no point in modifying an already excellent filter in order to make it less excellent. The issue of Wet/Dry has to do with the possible escape of CO2. However, this is the same issue faced by tanks with sumps, or by open top tanks. In those situations you'd have to add a higher CO2 injection rate or seal whatever vented openings there are to overcome the loss of gas. In a non-injected tank the Wet/Dry is a bonus because there is no worry about losing precious CO2 and the dry area helps the nitrifying bacteria by enhancing oxygen availability. I'd just get on with it and forget about modifying the filter, which would do more harm than good.
Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Both the Eheim 2227 and 2229 wet/dry chamber are vented to atmosphere via a "breather" tube as shown in the user manual http://www.f3images.com/IMD/UserManuals/EH2229.pdf

As a result the gas will leak, but so what? Just add more by cranking your needle valve.

Cheers,

Hey clive,

Would you think with this setup that co2 levels would need to be dramatically increased? Or marginally given it should be dissolved somewhat in water.

I don't get why the 'breather' tube has to hook over side of tank either, will it expel water?

Sorry, just struggling to understand setup.

I think Tom Barr states that wet and drys are better in terms of fish health also, as he uses them religiously now but in a sump version. Co2 would need to be upped but the overall health of his fish and shrimp was much better I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alastair said:
I think Tom Barr states that wet and drys are better in terms of fish health also, as he uses them religiously now but in a sump version. Co2 would need to be upped but the overall health of his fish and shrimp was much better I believe.

Good news, Overall I think it would be worth it don't you think? I could do a test to see how much it would have to be upped.

Whitey89 said:
Alastair said:

Good news, Overall I think it would be worth it don't you think? I could do a test to see how much it would have to be upped.

I do yes mate. I'd be interested to see how much more co2 usage it took but on the up side is that you'd have much healthier fish. If I ever go back to high tech, which would be a big tank again I'm going to opt for a wet n dry sump like Tom does.

Back