• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eggs

IvanK

Hi All,

I have just noticed a few eggs (at least that is what I believe these are) in my 240l community tank. Have you got any idea what these can be?

Cheers

Ivan

20230525_000806.jpg

Attachments

• 20230525_000418.jpg
    20230525_000418.jpg
    948.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Thanks guys! Let's hope they will survive 🙂
Once they start, they will probably spawn regularly. If you don't get any survivors in the community tank you could set up a little hatching tank for a future batch. They are fairly tough eggs, you can pick them off with your fingers. A breeding trap would be OK, but a tank s better if possible.
You could start a microworm culture to feed the babies.

Once they start, they will probably spawn regularly. If you don't get any survivors in the community tank you could set up a little hatching tank for a future batch. They are fairly tough eggs, you can pick them off with your fingers. A breeding trap would be OK, but a tank s better if possible.
You could start a microworm culture to feed the babies.
Many thanks for the reply, sparkyweasel!
Yesterday, after seeing the eggs, I started thinking of setting up a hatching tank indeed.
However, I am for the time being hoping to make it happen in the main community tank - just wanted to create sort of natural and self sustaining habitat. Have you got any advice on that? Any ideas how to make my community tank suitable for hatching the eggs?
Cheers
Ivan
20230525_000448.jpg

Any ideas how to make my community tank suitable for hatching the eggs?
A big lump of moss that the other fish can’t penetrate would help.

They’re pretty easy to raise if you do want to remove them. I float the eggs in a plastic Tupperware with some alder cones, once hatched the fry are then moved into a suitable floating fry tank. They take powdered fry food as a first food straight away.

Cheers

I get the ocasional corydora survivor in my community tank. There are dense bushes of anubias and they hide there until they are large enough.

I have tried rescuing some eggs, but so far it didn't work for me.

I get the ocasional corydora survivor in my community tank. There are dense bushes of anubias and they hide there until they are large enough.

I have tried rescuing some eggs, but so far it didn't work for me.
Thanks l, LMuhlen. Can you tell me how large your tank is?
Cheers!

They’re pretty easy to raise if you do want to remove them. I float the eggs in a plastic Tupperware with some alder cones, once hatched the fry are then moved into a suitable floating fry tank. They take powdered fry food as a first food straight away.

Cheers
Yes, I am definitely starting to consider java moss. Cheers mate!

As @Conort2 says, moss is very useful. It will soon get populated with many and varied tiny critters for the fry to eat. And a great hiding place. Finding food and avoiding becoming food are the important things for newly-hatched fry.

As @Conort2 says, moss is very useful. It will soon get populated with many and varied tiny critters for the fry to eat. And a great hiding place. Finding food and avoiding becoming food are the important things for newly-hatched fry.
Thnaks, sparkyweasel!
Will get some moss ASAP.
Cheers!
Ivan

In a previous tank my corys would spawn everytime I changed water, especially if it was slightly colder than the tank. I agree with the moss, its a good hiding place for any type of fry :)

Cheers
Fully agree. I had a 100% success rate with 8 or 9 eggs I picked out of the vegetation in my community tank and raised in a floating plastic food tray.

Hello. I currently have 7 baby panda corys in a plastic strawberry tub floating in my tank. The eggs can be gathered off the moss in my tank. They hatch after 4 days but don’t seem to eat til about day 9. I did add infusoria for a day or two but not sure that was necessary.They’re now doing well on chopped up baby white worms and ground up fluval bugbites. I change the water several times per day and I suspect the algae and plants are helpful.
View attachment 176052
Found my original report

Back