• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Egg Tumbler

I didn’t know about these until yesterday. The Corydoras in my tank have laid eggs maybe five or six times but nothing has come of them. I’m thinking maybe I should get a tumbler? I don’t know anything about the topic though so I’m wondering if I’m wasting my money. Could they eggs laid to date for example be infertile anyway?

Do you have pictures of the eggs? If not can you describe their color? They will be laid in a neutral clear color and should turn slightly golden if fertilized. White or milky ones are unfertilised. I think egg tumblers are more commonly used for L-catfish and mouthbrooding cichlids but I could be wrong

Another thing to add, L-number and mouthbrooder eggs have evolved to have parental care while they developed, so they require a bit of assistance should the aquarist for any reason want to do things manually. Hence the egg tumbler. Cory eggs however are just supposed to be left somewhere ok-ish where no one eats them, so they are hardier eggs.

Last edited:
Shrimpers use them as well. Sometimes a shrimp can die, or the eggs can come away with the molt so using the egg tumbler is ideal for saving the eggs.

I wanted to add that yes they are worth it, cheap enough, and plenty of DIY vids on YT if you're good with making things. They are a good item to have if you're wanting to breed fish that scatter eggs etc. Although they are mainly used for live bearers hang on breeder boxes could be used for the eggs as well. As the current can flow through the top of the box you would get all the aeration the eggs would need or could drop, an air stone in on low.

Last edited:
The eggs I’ve seen just look translucent. If left they disappear. Eaten by the Corydoras or shrimps I suppose. I did separate some but they turned cloudy after a day or two. I have an air pump so if anyone has links to a half decent DIY build it could save me a few quid. The ones I’ve seen work out at about £25 inc postage.

£12 on amazon. Easily pays for itself with any young you manage to save/raise.

61IZQLY6RHL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

How heavily planted is your tank? I’ve normally found that a few fry will hide away and make it to adulthood providing there is enough cover.

I’ve had corys successfully spawn in a heavily planted established tank that had been running over a year. They survived with at least 8 adults and a few tiny tetras. Only realised when we noticed very small corys on the food.

When I tore down my 500l tank we found 12 ottos and I only bought a 5 or 6 in the early day to deal with diatoms. The tank was running for years with low light, low maintenance (bordering on neglect at times) and easy plants. It contained all sorts accumulated over the years including Congo tetras, angel fish and diamond tetras. I was amazed that any survived.

Back