• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Eek is the BGA?

Elxiia

Seedling
1. 30 Litres day 35
2. Back sump filtration with course sponge, 2lts seachem matrix, filter floss, purigen and eheim compact on 300 pump
3. Chihiros C301 LED light 14W 1500lm 7 hours a day
4. ADA power sand basic 1L Amazonia v2 soil.
5. Co2 diffuser to recommended (drop checker help).
6. Green Aqua macro & micro 1ml each every other day (total 3x a week).
7. Water change 50 – 60% once a week
8. Plant list + When planted.

From the beginning-
  • Bucephalandra spec. 'Wavy Leaf' In-Vitro
  • Micranthemum Sp. Monte Carlo In-Vitro
  • Eleocharis acicularis mini In-Vitro
  • Staurogyne repens - lab plant in jelly
From Nov 8th-
  • Eleocharis acicularis mini In-Vitro
  • Staurogyne repens In-Vitro
  • Hydrocotyle Tripartita In-Vitro

9. Inhabitants;
4x Nerite snails
6-8 Amano’s
4 Neocaridina yellow gold backs

Attachments

• possible BGA.jpg
    possible BGA.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 273
Hey @Elxiia by the image it looks like BGA, if you want to be 100% sure you can remove some from the tank, rub in the fingers and smell it- if it's slimy and has a scent resembling rotten plants / swamp it's definitely BGA. The best way I've found for defeating them is lots of plants and properly set up flow across whole tank (no dead areas etc.). They form colonies in stagnant or low flow water and seems to be hating highly oxygenated environments (however they produce oxygen by photosynthesis).

Plus as @Diogo81 mentioned some diatoms. Or clumped organic matter.

Hey @Elxiia by the image it looks like BGA, if you want to be 100% sure you can remove some from the tank, rub in the fingers and smell it- if it's slimy and has a scent resembling rotten plants / swamp it's definitely BGA. The best way I've found for defeating them is lots of plants and properly set up flow across whole tank (no dead areas etc.). They form colonies in stagnant or low flow water and seems to be hating highly oxygenated environments (however they produce oxygen by photosynthesis).

Plus as @Diogo81 mentioned some diatoms. Or clumped organic matter.
Yeah it smells very earthy not a good earthy. I’ve ordered some easy-life blue exit removal by hand and tooth brush method and I’m going to crank the pump to full as it’s about half now. My shrimps might not enjoy that but better than the toxin from gba.
thank you guys for the help.

Yep, that's BGA.

Plenty of water changes, lots of waving fingers about in the water to get BGA into the water column. Remove, continue. You'll find a balance eventually, possibly too much light, too much waste in the water, too much ferts. No one really knows, I only get BGA in one place, which was low flow, high light (comparatively) and with a greater concentration of detritus.

If you turn off the filter for a few minutes and dose some easycarbo onto it, it goes away quite fast. Other then that castle's advice has it covered :) I recommend against using chemicals as it might kill more then the intended and it wont remove the cause of the algae in the first place.

Back