• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Echinodorus Bleherea

EmannAquarium

Hi,

just added two echinodorus bleherea to my aquarium about two weeks and they are embedded in the JBL plant soil as substrate.

I am noting two large leaves going brown and I am reading that these should better be trimmed in order to allow new growth.

Two questions: should i trim them just now in view of just planting them two weeks ago only ....secondly how do I trim these plants...just below the leave, just above the substrate or shall I remove from the substrate and detach the leaves and replant.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hi all,
secondly how do I trim these plants.. just above the substrate
That one, I'd wait for the leaves to start to go brown before removing them.

Take the leaves off that look like this:

Decor%20131.jpg

These plants are <"grown emersed in glasshouses">, and have <"terrestrial leaves when you buy them">, which are prone to melting off.

The good news is that Echinodorus "Bleherae" (<"E. bleheri">) is a tough plant and adapts well to life under-water.

cheers Darrel

I slide my finger down the stem to the base of the plant and push down and away from the base to remove damaged leaves on my sword plant's for I do not like the look of a cut stem above the substrate.(Am I weird?)
I guess if you can get down low enough with scissors to better hide the cut stem it would work also.
Mine are surrounded by water sprite and crypt balansae so getting to the bottom is easier the way I do it.

Thanks to all...according to this I will then wait a bit more until the leaves are a bit more brown and then will leave the plant in the substrate and trim as low as possible with a scissors.

good day

trim as low as possible with a scissors.
As Roadmaster said you can pry the leaves of quite easily, even with the plant in the substrate. Just grab the leave stem as low as possible and gently pull away from the plant, You should be able to remove all from the plant and not leave dying material. If the plant isn't well established (big root system) hold the plant with the other hand .

Back