• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Easylife profito DIY equivalent

deeproots

Hi All,
I have a well balanced relatively low tech 350l tank which has half decent plant growth (I dont want fast growing, just consistency and stable tank), very little algae and healthy fish which is supplemented with profito weekly (which is relatively expensive in the long term) and easycarbo daily (35ml p/w profito, 9ml p/day easycarbo). I previously used TNC complete which resulted in an algae outbreak (I think due to excess nitrate and phosphate) and I tried the using dry ferts as well but found I had poor results. I really only want to dose once a week for the ferts and I want a mix that doesn't have phosphate or nitrate in it. I found the breakdown of profito on a forum which I've converted to % on the right :

Ingredient ppm %
Fe(2+) 1.2 0.07
K 7 0.43
Mg 900 55.45
Mn 400 24.64
I 200 12.32
B 80 4.93
Cu, Mo, Zn, Li 20 1.23
Ni, Co, Al, Sn, F 10 0.62
V, Se 5 0.31

I have a dry ferts left over and some vitamin c powder and some potassium sorbate.

Can mix all of these using dry fertz to the correct % as above and use once a week? (I will carry on daily with the easycarbo as I built an automated doser for that)
Is it just a case of measuring out/weighing, boiling up some water, sterilising and mixing in including the preservatives and if so how much?
Do these % above even look sensible? It will be very hard to measure such small % of some of these. I'm aware these came from a forum so are not validated.

Thanks - sorry for the ramble!

Thanks for the replies - It may be that my lighting was too high or some other paramter however I know that when I used TNC complete which has the addition of KNO3 and KH2PO4 I had a bad algae outbreak, when I stopped and went back to profito it was fine again. All other conditions remaining the same I just find that profito works really well in my tank so I just want to simulate that fertiliser in a cheaper way.

Back