• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Easy red plants?

Thanks all - it's definitely not the filtration, the flow is well distributed across the compartments, and it's only cloudy in that photo as the water had just been changed moments before.

Update, I can no longer grow nymphaea in this tank, even though there is an absolutely magnificent looking one that grew from a single bulb. The two bulbs I added several weeks ago (each with a few leaves) haven't died, but haven't grown at all. Something seems to have changed, I have no idea what.

Something seems to have changed, I have no idea what.
Only now I've noticed you'd mentioned PhosGuard. Removing phosphates is rather dangerous play. You see no results at first except algae disappearing. So you're happy but then you realize that your plants have ceased to grow. And then, without apparent reason, they gradually begin to die off. Those with tubers or any sort of nutrient stock hold better, longer, but in the end, they'll die, too. Phosphorus deficiency is often an invisible killer.
Does my description fit your situation?

Only now I've noticed you'd mentioned PhosGuard. Removing phosphates is rather dangerous play. You see no results at first except algae disappearing. So you're happy but then you realize that your plants have ceased to grow. And then, without apparent reason, they gradually begin to die off. Those with tubers or any sort of nutrient stock hold better, longer, but in the end, they'll die, too. Phosphorus deficiency is often an invisible killer.
Does my description fit your situation?

I did remove the PhosGuard a couple weeks ago for this reason (also the algae bounced back, it didn't seem to be helping). I'm hoping the phosphate levels have recovered by now.

Back