• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Ea Freshwater 900 - planted project!

Louiskirch

Seedling
Hi all...

New to this page.
I’ve been keeping fish in one form or other for nearly 20 years now and have had varying success over the time. The last 10 years I have been keeping marine but I feel the sustainability and ethics of the collecting aren’t great, the more I learn the less I liked!

So, I’m back in the tropical world. I bought a second hand Ea freshwater900 with a Oase biotherm 600 over a month ago and have been assembly the tank and items. I painted the rear as I’ve learnt in the past this is often the best way long term.

we used a planted substrate then topped with jbl dark sansibar sand as I’d like to keep Corydoras.

the rest of the stocking will be quite considered hopefully, but I’m thinking of; Bolivian rams with tetras.

I will be adding co2 and increasing the planting over time.

Id appreciate any feedback.

560B0420-2030-4566-A198-82B96A844B15.jpeg
025D33C5-2FDC-4354-BF98-90F91BFB6441.jpeg
3041840E-B152-43C0-A874-7AF3D7D066BA.jpeg

Hi all,
.......as I’d like to keep Corydoras. The rest of the stocking will be quite considered hopefully, but I’m thinking of; Bolivian rams with tetras.
I'd probably go with either <"Bolivian Rams or Corydoras">, but not both. The problem could come if the Bolivian Rams spawn, when they are likely to damage the Corydoras.

I've kept Corydoras pygmaeus and C. hastatus successfully with dwarf cichlids, but I've kept away from the larger, more bottom orientated Corydoras species. I'm having <"Corydoras duplicareus envy at moment">, I'd really like some, but I don't have a suitable tank.

I like a <"lot of plants"> in my tanks, particularly <"floating ones"> and they help <"with tank establishment">. I'm a moss fan as well, you can never have <"too much moss">.

cheers Darrel

Hi and welcome i great start but i agree with darrel will be a lot better and less chance of algae with a lot more plant mass.

Best of luck and welcome again.
Dean

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

I'm a big corydoras fan and would echo what Darrel advises and be wary that some cichlids that share the bottom areas might damage them if they breed. A high bodied tetra light phantom tetra, would make a nice centrepiece for that sized tank with perhaps hatchet fish (if you have a lid) for the top. By going for smaller species it will make the tank look bigger and you might not miss a "show fish".

It looks like you have jungle vallis in front of the wood and if it is, it can grow 4-6ft, which makes it better planted at the back where it can spread up and then over the surface to your desired length (if it gets too long just cut the ends off). This will create a jungle type effect and make your fish feel secure but it's a vigorous plant so keep an eye on any runners it sends out in the wrong place.

It looks like you have jungle vallis in front of the wood and if it is, it can grow 4-6ft, which makes it better planted at the back where it can spread up and then over the surface to your desired length (if it gets too long just cut the ends off). This will create a jungle type effect and make your fish feel secure but it's a vigorous plant so keep an eye on any runners it sends out in the wrong place.

that’s great thank you. I thought it was standard vallis but did wonder why it was different to the other in the tank. I’ll get it moved ASAP

Hi all,
Would you be able to recommend any?
We normally recommend plants from the <"Tropica Easy range">, they tend to do OK in nearly all circumstances. I like Fern, Mosses, Anubias barteri, Cryptocoryne spp. etc. because they will withstand a certain amount of benign neglect, and I'm not bothered <"about aesthetics"> or red plants etc.

Have a look around the forum and I'm sure other members (@Tim Harrison ) will have much more exciting tanks with low tech plants.

cheers Darrel

Looks good and will improve further when the plants get going. The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps add something to cover the cut ends of the wood so they don't stand out as much. There are plenty of smaller epiphytes that would do the job nicely but moss or bucephalandra (if you went for one of the different coloured variants) would be a nice contrast to the other plants. You can attach them with cotton or fishing line and then let them root onto the wood.

Looks good and will improve further when the plants get going. The only thing I'd suggest is perhaps add something to cover the cut ends of the wood so they don't stand out as much. There are plenty of smaller epiphytes that would do the job nicely but moss or bucephalandra (if you went for one of the different coloured variants) would be a nice contrast to the other plants. You can attach them with cotton or fishing line and then let them root onto the wood.

That’s a great idea. I didn’t noticed how much they stick out until you said, but I’ll definitely look for something.

I’ve moved one of the Anubias to cover one of the cut ends. I’ll look for more plants over coming weeks.
I’ve added a Co2 unit and regulator today, so hopefully things will keep improving.
7F3219AE-06C6-480B-A70F-0B7A806AD29C.jpeg

increasing the planting over time.
It’s actually much “easier” to establish a minimal algae tank by beginning with LOTS of plants
Though I appreciate this is obviously more costly, if you end up struggling with loads of algae this will also cost in plant replacements - and recommended plants added to help “combat” algae

One of the best “weeds” is likely Heteranthera zosterfolia
https://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Heterantherazosterifolia(096TC)/4544

It’s often worth buying aquarium plants through a reputable dealer such as Aquarium Gardens etc re health and size of plants

planted substrate then topped with jbl dark sansibar sand
Which planted substrate?

Are you adding water column fertilizers?

Lighting?
If this is the stock EA LEDs this are fairly low intensity for a tall tank, so substrate plants may struggle a bit
(EA should be able to provide lighting details if it’s not readily apparent)

Well done on the CO2 addition, this always improves plant health, even in slow growth, lower light setups

(though I must admit to wanting to level out the sand in some areas and straightening that crooked Sword plant)

Last edited:
Back