• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf Sagittaria - danger of overrunning a tank

KRMans

For my first attempt at a planted tank, I obtained some Dwarf Sagittaria for a 3 foot tank. However, I came across this video where, from just 2 small bunches, the Dwarf Sagittaria literally overran a small tank in 1 year.

@4:21 in the video he says all this growth, in 1 year, happened from 2 small bunches.

fff.png

How do you prevent a runner plant from overrunning a tank? In that video, the roots have spread to the entire base of the tank, which makes me think that even regular up-rooting and trimming might not ultimately prevent the Dwarf Sagittaria from eventually overrunning the tank?

I had intended to have Dwarf Sagittaria in the foreground, and many different non-runner plants in the background.

Very vigorous plants trying to over run your tank is just part of the hobby!
Keep on top of your trimming, trim through the roots and runners and remove if it is spreading to areas you don't want.

I think a lot of the time tanks get rescaped because the plants have grown to such an extent that trimming isnt really enough, and you need to go back and start again.
K

Hi all,
However, I came across this video where, from just 2 small bunches, the Dwarf Sagittaria literally overran a small tank in 1 year.
I'd look on that as a result.
Keep on top of your trimming, trim through the roots and runners and remove if it is spreading to areas you don't want.
That one.

This photo also shows <"one of the reasons"> why plants are so efficient at nutrient removal.

fff-png.png

cheers Darrel

Ime it can grow thick and lush, taking over the tank but it does depend on your other plants as to how large the monster becomes. I keep it to a defined area in my tank and just pull up any that invade other areas. If I find its getting to thick or encroaching where I don't want it, I pull it out and only put a small portion back.
Sometimes you miss runners and they spring up in unexpected places but generally if they reach the back they stay short and are hidden by the other plants (sometimes they can grow to about 45 cm but I've never had a thicket at this size) which can keep them in check.

Any plant can take over if you don't keep a check on its growth. Cryptocorynes will probably grow a similar sized root ball to what he has but from a much smaller plant mass.

Back