• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dwarf Puffer sexing??

Everybody who sees my tank imediately points to the puffer and says "Man that one is awsome!". It is just not an everyday obvious fish and very handsome little bugger and the way they look with it's little fat belly, his puppy eyes and cool relaxed appearance, bending his tail to balance when it hoovers in place and curiously inspects it's suroundings with it's eyes rolling all over the place. As tiny as he is he realy is a focal point in the tank, even tho there only is one among all other fish. He gets picked out instantly. Everybody thinks he is sooooo cute.

I think it's a good thing they are still young in the LFS, still skinny and a bit uggly looking. If they were as hansome as the way the grow up in the LFS there would be a lot of people buying it.. Fortunately their baby looks don't make them realy popular.

I'm breeding snails now in the garden, pond and ramshorn snails, got uncountable baby snails already.. I feed him daily and he just loves to kill them. It's a sport and certainly not only food, i throw in 15 baby snails and the moment he spots them he gets excited and kills 10 with in a minute. Funny is, the barbs also like to eat snails but can't crush them.. They pic it up when Puffy is snail hunting and accompany him to clean up his spoils. They co excist perfectly, they seem to respect eachother very well. :)

Here i caught it by chance on video the first time i saw him attack a Pumila. After that it only got worse, he realy started to hate them more every day.

That was also pure chance Darrel :) didn't even know they excisted as larvae like that in running water. This is my first year with running water in the garden, first time i saw them i was a bit spooked. Thought it were leaches. The microscope revealed a mosquito larvae.. Now they are about gone and getting less, but from march till end june it was happy meal for the fish, everyday.

I wish I had some running water to culture them in.
Shouldn't be to difficult to create some running water in the garden.. What about 2 buckets and a piece off pvc roof-gutter betweem them filled with river pebbles. a submersible pump and a piece of hose and circulate the water over the gutter from one bucket to the other. Actualy only need 1 bucket.. :)

Naamloos.jpg

Last edited:
I love the way you describe him, eyes rolling all over the place. I'd forgotten just how expressive their eyes are. He is a handsome fish and really reminds me of my male, Rambo.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

really reminds me of my male

Thanks for your compliment. :) You do not have him anymore?

It is they realy have personanlity and temper and show very intresting behavior.. Now i know his temper and what he's capable of, i have the urge to watch him closely and see what he's up to and not mischievous again.. He is a bit like Achmed the dead terrorist... He can get a temper without a reason, very relaxed and all of a sudden getting excited and grumpy. Racing agressively around the tank like he wants to show off yelling "out of the way here i come!! I kill you!!" Racing towards a barb looking like an attack, but then hits the brakes and is just inspecting looking like a puppy again. Something like "Your not going out of my way?? Ok for now i stop but i kill you next time!". :lol:

I rehomed my pair to another ukaps member with a big jungle tank. The female couldn't hide for longer than 10min from the wee sex pest in the tank I had and back then I didn't have lots of tanks to juggle fish.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Ok, i thought you still had puffers around.. :) Nice you found another suitable place for them.. If paired up i'm also convinsed they need very large tank, i'm not sure but honestly under the impression that 200 litre still could be to small for a pair.. The average consensus 60 litre per puffer i read everywhere i have no clue by whom and how this is measured and far from realistic. Who are those people writing such reports? Breeder conspiracy? :rolleyes:

Back