• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dutch but NOT...

Thanks Martin. It doesn't look like your tank is full of CO2 bubbles. I'm waiting on my pH pen to arrive from Hong Kong/Shenzhen. I was running 7-8 bps with 4x 54W and my tank was still full of BBA. Have switched back to 2 tubes now instead of 4.

It doesn't look like your tank is full of CO2 bubbles.
I made this photo probably when the CO2 already turned off, which is one hour before the lights turn off.
I had huge problems with my previous setup and what I found worked really well was to pack my tank with plants, plants and more plants (fast growers, but also "normal" growers)

My wife bought a camera that is able to go underwater (without killing it)...made some pictures with.
DSC00347_zps363ce38c.jpg
DSC00343_zpse09a9754.jpg
DSC00342_zpse0af11eb.jpg
DSC00340_zps8304a7a7.jpg

Hmmm....having some problems with my plants, they were doing fine (great even) but now they start to decay, my Downoi is losing leaves Staug. repens is getting yellow and got more and more black little algae dots, even Ludwigia palustris is looking poorly.
I've lowered the lights from 2 x T5 54W 7 hours per day to 1.5 x T5 (covered half of the bulbs with alufoil) but this seems to even have a worse effect....
Still dosing EI (almost double amount) and with a KH of 6 my pH drops from 7.4 to 6.2
2 canister filters with have 1550 l/h output, but because I have a prefilter which probably block some flow, I also use a power head with spray bar of 1200 l/h. Tank is about 300 liter.

I have no idea what could be improved to get my plants back growing again....is there something as 'to much current'?

Too much current (for plants) is when physical damage occurs, I think. It may also prevent/limit uptake in some way but I haven't a clue...

Wooooow.... that's what I call "pearling"...

Martin... can you tell me the name of the plant in the last picture? :wideyed:

Any of it over shadowed?
I don't think it's the problem of not enough light, although the Downoi was over shadowed a bit.
Wooooow.... that's what I call "pearling"...

Martin... can you tell me the name of the plant in the last picture? :wideyed:
No idea what the name is of that plant as they sell plants here with Chinese names like butterfly leaves or easy red...

Strangly enough is that this plant, how good it did before, is barely alive now, I would love to know what is going wrong.

Oh that's a shame :(

As your plants turn yellow... perhaps some issues with Mg:Ca ratio?
Have no clue as you are already dosing the double amount of EI

@The_Iceman, that plant looks like myriophyllum tuberculatum.

@Martin, I have no proper idea what's wrong with your tank, although when something suddenly going wrong I'd check whether you have excessive organic in your tank (some coagulants can be used as test), maybe lacks of O2 (unlikely), or whether you have not good quality chemicals for fert dosing. How long ago do you clean your canister filters?

As your plants turn yellow... perhaps some issues with Mg:Ca ratio?
Aquatic plants do not really care about ratios. They only care whether there is sufficient levels, and, in any case it is impossible to control ratios.

Martin, you should ALWAYS suspect CO2....ALWAYS. Falling leaves and decay are a syndrome specific to poor CO2.

Cheers,

Clive, do you have any good ideas on how to get my CO2 better? I inject now with inline diffusers (one on each filter output line) which I just cleaned a few weeks ago, I already lowered the light output, my guess (yes, I am writing "guess", because I'm never sure, but when I poor in my CaCO3 milky water mix, it goes nicely to to front, down to the bottom and back at substrate level) is that the current is good.

Hi Martin,
Reducing the light intensity lowers the CO2 demand so that the amount you are injecting becomes more useful. If you want to use the intensity of all the bulbs then you'll have to increase the injection rate. Trimming reduces the biomass and so makes more CO2 available. When your plants increase their mass then they need more of everything. The amount of CO2 that was necessary when the plants were small is a lot less than they need when they are big. This is entirely logical. Again, do a pH profile check to get a better idea of what's happening to the gas. Do I sound like a broken record?

Cheers,

Back