• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DSM - too humid

Andrew Butler

This is my second attempt at a DSM or lazy DSM as I'm having a go at.

It got suggested before I probably had my soil too wet which is what I think has happened again and now think I know why (aside from me adding too much water)!

There is a large amount of volcano mineral below the substrate and quite some sloping so when I think I have the soil just wet enough at the top over a matter of days the water has seeped through the volcano minerl and water at the front/low points has become too wet, humidity is showing in the high 90s!

Any experience out there to give me any advice?

I've left the top open for quite a bit but it's still up there and in fear of killing the plants if I leave it open much more.

-Wondering whether over a few days I could leave it uncovered and just spray a little on the plants to stop them drying out could work? I understand I'm almost defeating the point of leaving it open by spraying!

-Remove plants and put them in a container for a few days with top just left open then replant

-Any better suggestions?

Andrew

https://ukaps.org/forum/threads/take-2-lonely-tree-in-a-summer-meadow.55955/page-5

What plants are you growing?

At the moment just MC, I plan to add some other bits when it has grown in.

After having a look this morning the front soil is just sopping so I've temporarily removed the plants, will put them somewhere humid for a day or 2 and then when things have dried up add them back in.
I think removing film and spraying a couple of times a day is the only way to stop all the water seeping through to the volcano mineral then in turn the lower soil without drying the plants out completely or soaking them.

Opinions always welcome.

Why don't you just get some paper towels to soak up the excess water from the front? Saves moving the MC out until it dries out

Why don't you just get some paper towels to soak up the excess water from the front? Saves moving the MC out until it dries out
It's a bit late for that; post above says I've removed them.
It took me 10 minutes and will take about the same too add it back in.
I can have a sort through and pick out the bad bits this way easier too I think.

It shouldn't dry out if its kept in a humid tub with cling film over it for a couple of days.

If you have the time leave it open whilst keeping a close eye on it say hourly if it starts to look too dry reseal check and hour later if too wet reopen, repeat, repeat repeat - thats what I would do if I had the time
Hey Karl,
I tried that but just wasn't getting anywhere as the lights dry the plants out just as quick as the soil so you end up giving them a little squirt and back to where you started pretty much.

Part open tank ;) at start of mind had glass lids well sealed but after short time just glass lids which let the air in OFC
I had the film opening around a third of the aquarium at the front as that was the wet part; it was folded back onto the light.
I've removed the plants now and had it open all day.
It didn't take long to remove them as I took the lazy DSM and they hadn't had much chance to root.
I should think a day or two should get enough water evaporated and I can replant them removing any bad ones as I go.
They're in a large container with a bit of moist kitchen towel at the bottom and cling film over the top so think they will be happy enough for a day or so.

Back