• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

DSM 28 days in, can you see a difference.

Furgan

Ok so I’m 28 days into the dry start method. A week in , I thought I would of started to see a improvement by now, with the DHG.

The java moss on the rocks was added 1 week later using the yougart method.

Now I’m starting to get itchy feet, please tell me it will be worth wating X amount of days more.

F1D006D6-AA94-4EB6-9460-5623B2724107.png

28 days later

019F01AE-8D32-4575-821A-84FEC3A600BE.jpeg

Moss day 1
78CDEAFD-AC2B-445D-9E4C-408AD0B74200.jpeg

Moss 21 days later
3B75C36D-D60F-4C4C-B581-303CE63C222D.jpeg

Has anyone else got experience with Eleocharis Acicularis 'Mini' using DSM. It seems to be going very slowly if anything at all.

I am also wondering if I should trim it to stimulate growth?

It's probably working on roots rather than top growth, if you have any near the glass you might be able to see it forming runners under the surface. If not take a little bit from one of the clumps and plant it against the glass then you can see it grow and feel like it's doing something :) I grow it emersed and it does well once it's got going.

Has anyone else got experience with Eleocharis Acicularis 'Mini' using DSM. It seems to be going very slowly if anything at all.

I am also wondering if I should trim it to stimulate growth?

I have experience with eleocharis acicularis mini in DSM. It grows slow!!! Very slow. I had a nano which I tore down after like 2,5 months and It was still not really spreading. But I had low light when starting with the dsm. Later I added more light but still it was slow. But people tell once it goes it goes like a weed.

You can see my journal >> here <<

I gave up on it after about 3 weeks as I didn't see any growth lol when I pulled it to replace it it had grown a good root structure though so had been doing well just not visibly so I imagine the same for yours.

So what do you think, keep going another month and see? I would really like it to do well

How long are your lights on, I guess if it has food and CO2 that's all it could be short on so you could try a longer light period and see if that speeds things up.

Hi Furgan, I had a very similar experience with ‘mini’. You can read about it here

DSM no growth
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...php?threads/DSM-no-growth.51363/&share_type=t

I found that adding a heat mat made a big difference, it really allowed me to keep the humidity high. I would not be in a rush to flood it, the growth will be even slower after - less light (14hrs vs 6hrs?) and less CO2 (400ppm vs approx. 30ppm if injecting).

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How is yours looking now, beautiful tank by the way and love the bonsai

I flooded mine after 7 weeks, because of the pending arrival of a betta that was due to take up residence. I wish I could have held off for a few more weeks - as the mini has not really filled in any more since it was been underwater.

I will update my thread with a new picture, but I'm away from home for a couple of weeks.

No problem, ill hold out longer, ive increased the light period to 16 hours to see if that helps and have given some of the longer bits a trim to see if that will stimulate growth.

Little update,
The yougart mixed java moss seems to be coming along well. I can see more growth with a dwarf hair grass that’s pushed its way to the glass so the magic must be working now. Will see what it’s like at the end of the month.
29863BA1-DA1A-4CA8-B65D-52D4C04BB00B.jpeg
8376057C-1D3E-4120-A46C-F7ED240C7D82.jpeg

Woohooo! Glad you are getting some noticeable growth at last. I imagine it will increase at a faster rate now. That's some very nice moss growth :)

Yes the moss is looking really cool, very happy with it. I’m really looking foreword to seeing what it will look like in a few months when the tanks flooded and settled.

I think so but the final outcome will be seen when it’s flooded and settled. I wish I could stick in the Spider wood it would look nicer with that in but I need it soaking so it doesn’t float when flooded.

At least it’s outside in a large container, hopefully building up some lovely biofilm for the shrimp to eat when it goes in.

I think so but the final outcome will be seen when it’s flooded and settled. I wish I could stick in the Spider wood it would look nicer with that in but I need it soaking so it doesn’t float when flooded.

At least it’s outside in a large container, hopefully building up some lovely biofilm for the shrimp to eat when it goes in.
Im looking forward to seeing this flooded, I've just had a total rethink on my tank and gone with spiderwood too. I have it weighed down in the tank and hoping it takes on enough water in 48hrs or so to not float so I can plant it.

How long have you been soaking yours?

Im looking forward to seeing this flooded, I've just had a total rethink on my tank and gone with spiderwood too. I have it weighed down in the tank and hoping it takes on enough water in 48hrs or so to not float so I can plant it.

How long have you been soaking yours?

Technicality a year. I had it in a discus tank before stripping it down, and then chucked it in a container.

Planning on attaching a lot of buse around the base and a few bits of süsswasatang around the top of the branches, struggling to find enough of the süsswastang.

Back