• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dry start method : some questions

aaronf

First time poster, so sorry if this is the wrong place.

I started planting this tank 3 weeks ago with some java moss using the dry start method. My plan is to try and get a carpet of the Java Moss.

This tank has been set up for about three weeks. I have been misting daily. The substrate is Fluval Plant & Shrimp Stratum Aquarium Planting. The intended purpose is a shrimp tank.

As you can see I have a lot of vertical growth of the java moss. I am not however getting much carpeting going on. I have read that people often trim the java moss after flooding the tank, but would you do it 3 weeks in or just wait it out?

Week 1
PXL_20210608_175036140.jpg

Week 2
PXL_20210620_104615007.jpg

Week 3
PXL_20210628_130109257.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210628_130056510.jpg
    PXL_20210628_130056510.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 123
@RPackman is correct, mosses are epiphytes, meaning they need to be glued or tied onto wood and rocks. If you want it to form a carpet, you could tie it to stainless steel mesh, or small pieces of slate, with thin fishing line and just rest those on the substrate - though they can end of being a bit of a detritus trap.

Failing that, pull it out of the soil and tie it onto the wood with fishing line, or glue with gel superglue (pure cyanoacrylate type), and add in a different true rooting carpet plant such as Micranthemum Monte Carlo, or Eleocharis Acicularis Mini etc.

I will do the same thing as you and my plans are to dry start my aquarium with Eleocharis Acicularis Mini.
I've seen great progress as carpet with this one from many people.

Well, I royally screwed up! Thanks for your advice
I just assumed because people talk about java moss carpets that were a carpeting plant! It would also explain why it is growing vertically but not horizontally.

The moss, for reference, is the:

• Taxiphyllum barbieri Java Moss

• Taxiphyllum 'Flame'

• Taxiphyllum 'Spiky'

I'm going to transfer the java moss to the tree tomorrow, as I don't like the idea of having detritus traps present.

Thanks for your help!

On the upside, that’s a nice bit of wood for moss to grow on though!

Wherever moss is in the tank I tend to find it a bit of a detritus trap so I recommend agitating it and siphoning over it every water change.

Well, I royally screwed up! Thanks for your advice
I just assumed because people talk about java moss carpets that were a carpeting plant! It would also explain why it is growing vertically but not horizontally.
Hello,
It is possible to have a moss carpet using the technique discussed in riccia carpet
This is written for riccia but also equally applies to mosses. Superglue can be used to attach to the base material.

Cheers,

I really like monte Carlo as a carpeting plant, in case you are open to alternatives.
I find it grows well in low tech tanks, just a bit slower.

Back