• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dry start method mold

Jamesgr1

Seedling
Hello, I have had a weblike mold creeping over the Ada aquasoil which has killed most of the plants (to much misting) , I have removed the plants now my question is what can I do if I want to replant the aqaurium? I would not really like to remove the substrate and rocks ruin the scape
my plan was to remove the cling film and let it air out for a little while to kill off the mold then replant it, would This work or will the mold just Reappear when I replant and seal?

It should work, worth a try at least if you don't want to disturb your hardscape. Ventilation is often how commercial growers control mould.

Once you're confident the mould has died off, resume the DSM.
Spray once a day, the draft created by the spray should cycle the stale air out of the tank, but pull the cling film right back for10mins to make sure. And keep the water level just below the substrate.
Hopefully, that should solve the problem going forward.

If that doesn't work you'd probably be better starting again. I'd cook the soil in the oven for an hour or so on full heat that should kill any mould / spores etc...

sorry for the late replies , yes it was fresh aqua soil, although I’m fairy certain it was due to over misting,
i was misting far to much at some points, with 5 mins of “breathing“ time

i have left the clingfilm unwrapped and removed the glosso, i first tried to see if the mold would die off as there was allt of new but there was also to much dead growth. the mold has climbed up the side of the tank even So will need to try clean it with a tooth brush, I don’t really want to remove my substrate as I wedged lots of rocks bellow as I created a mound at the back corner
but What do you guys think about using a blow dryer on a low setting just to warm up the aqua soil seeing as it’s quite damp,

I’ve just flooded a tank because of similar issues with my dsm so I’d be interested to know if you have any success. I tried adding hydrogen peroxide to the spray but it didn’t work.

Had quite a bit of mold on my 500l when doing a DSM

1596548664697.png

But with airing of tank managed another six weeks, did get some H2O2 but never used it

on flooding
1596548876102.png

and 3years 6months later

1596549152929.png

Once the plants have took root keeping humidity isn't so critical IMO

But my carpet was more or less all at the same level, having higher areas will be more tricky, you could just DSM the low areas and plants the higher areas just before flooding.

Remember lots of light for DSM 12hrs on full intensity - make the most of the free CO2 @ 400ppm

Back