• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Critique my hardscape Dramatic Wood, please critique - not sure how I feel.

Baarks

The title says it all - also, what planting would you go with?
So far thinking Monte Carlo carpet where the green marker is, hopefully leading to the focal point.
image.jpg

Attachments

• 3353F890-9738-4087-9EAD-4F7A832F4E9F.jpeg
    3353F890-9738-4087-9EAD-4F7A832F4E9F.jpeg
    595.5 KB · Views: 163
I like the flow of the wood. The only thing that's a little distracting is its looks like you have different types of wood. I don't think that would matter if you planted the left hand side with some epiphytes to cover the larger chunks, perhaps with some emersed growth on top, and perhaps cover the tangle of wood in the centre with some lower growing bucephalandra to cover all the gaps in the branches. I think it would look really good like that, transitioning from heavier planting on the left (as we look at the picture) to more open area on the right where the nice wood branches are.

I say all that without the vision of skill of an aquascaper. So hopefully one of the more knowledgeable folk will give you their opinion.

Thanks! I was thinking I‘d like to have some emerged growth on the left as you suggested, and I am hoping substrate will fill in the gappy wood bits - I am not 100% on this so haven’t commited to putting the substrate in yet!
from previous tanks I am nervous because something with this much going on can easily look dirty rather than complex and interesting.

What kind of wood is it?
It looks great but the only drawback with filling a tank full of wood is the organic load from decay. It can cause serious algae issues, even if you stay on top of water changes and tank husbandry.

What kind of wood is it?
It looks great but the only drawback with filling a tank full of wood is the organic load from decay. It can cause serious algae issues, even if you stay on top of water changes and tank husbandry.
Yeah I have that worry too! That is why I am hoping to keep the planting simple but plentiful. I generally don’t have too much trouble with algae as I usually have a very high plant load 😀 The wood is a mix - some local old wood which has held up ok in previous aquariums.

Back