• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

drainage cells & hardscape

yme

Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up a new tank with lots of heavy wood and stones. I bought these drainage cells to create a bit of height and to ensure sufficient flow under the hardscape.
Now, should I fill these cells completely with small lava rocks, or can I should I leave the space under the hardscape empty for an even better flow? Or does it not matter and amI overthinking it? :)

thanks,

Yme

Attachments

• drainagePlaat.jpg
    drainagePlaat.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 57
These things are good to protect the bottom glass from damage or too much pressure on individual spots from stones. There will be very few mass flow there, and it's not needed, anyway.
I'm using polystyrene pads for this purpose.

This is a great question. I did the same type of thing in the Shrimphaus and I filled in the gaps with open celled foam with the idea that it could be sort of magical "passive filtration" device. I don't know whether it actually has any use at all as a passive filter, but it does keep the hardscape off the bottom glass and if you don't actively fill those gaps with something they will fill up on their own with substrate or whatever, so might as well own the choice of what goes in there. ;)

Hi all,

I am in the process of setting up a new tank with lots of heavy wood and stones. I bought these drainage cells to create a bit of height and to ensure sufficient flow under the hardscape.
Now, should I fill these cells completely with small lava rocks, or can I should I leave the space under the hardscape empty for an even better flow? Or does it not matter and amI overthinking it? :)
thanks,
Hi
Personally I would fill the gaps with crushed Lava rock till its above the surface of the cells, this will give you extra grip when adding rock/stones!

Thank you all!
Great advice.

I need to think about it, but I like the "foam"concept!

Yme

Back