• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dragon's Grove

Crossocheilus

Hi,
I have had two tanks previously but this is my first real high tech planted, aquascaped tank.

So the preliminary stats:

Tank: ND Aquatics 90 x 45 x 45cm rimless braceless optiwhite

Cabinet: ND Aquatics custom design 90 x 45 x 75cm

Filters: 2x JBL e1501

Light: All Pond Solutions 4 39w slim

Co2: via UP new inline

Substrate: TMC Nutrasoil a bit over 15L

Rocks: 10kg of dragon stone from Aqua Essentials

Wood: Manzanita from Aquarium Gardens

So here's what I've got so far...

cab933c1fdf437179169fa00ad76102a.jpg

I hope you like it and please do critique, I'm always open to advice! The tank should be filled in a week or two so stay tuned.

Last edited:
Each to their own, I myself am not 100% sure about it but this is how I have designed the scape so it is staying as it is. However for my next scape I will prob do an iwagumi which defo won't have any sand. The sand will look much better once the plants are in anyway. I may yet fiddle with the sand to perfect it, it feels perhaps too wide, we shall see. Thanks for replying its great to hear what others have to say.

Sorry not much of an update but I've slightly decreased the width of the sand, however I am worrying about the fact that it is almost perfectly in the middle of the tank at the front. The rule of thirds has kinda failed, so what do you guys think, a problem or not?

Before

5fd1875e19a915cb0c9960edc8903c29.jpg

After

80ebb89d6223fc7c91549e6c483f2b3a.jpg

You could plant heavier on one side than the other to offset the fact the sand is central :)

I think it will be ok if your planting is similarly dramatic. I'd want to see something really quite striking to detract slightly from the sand.

I agree - plant heavier on one side. For me personally that would be the left.

I am worrying about the fact that it is almost perfectly in the middle of the tank at the front. The rule of thirds has kinda failed, so what do you guys think, a problem or not?
Hi,
i think its fine, the heavier bias of the left hardscape gives the illusion of thirds :thumbup:

Looks nice overall, will be nice to see it planted.

Cheerio,

Slow progress, but from what I've learnt on here I think I stand a decent chance of success, and of course you guys will be helping me every step of the way! At least I hope you will...? :p

Sorry guys still VERY little progress, life and school get in the way so it is taking a long time to gather the last few items. Got a co2 FE, yet to sort acrylic spraybars.

Also got some new fish in the temp tank:
10 pygmy cory
15 copper harlequins

Already had:
5 ottos
4 sterba's cory

And name change to: Dragon's Grove

Inspired by Alastair's Oaklands, I'm considering some peat filtration/ red bush tea? to acidify and add tannins, this tank is kinda an experiment.

Back