• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dou's Various Tanks (ADA 60P, Do!Aqua MiniM+Cube, 90x30x36, etc.)

Thanks everyone =D. I feel like every time I redo things it gets better so I'm excited to tear down and start over when the time comes. I forgot who said it, but the secrets to life are really found in the cliches (practice makes perfect)!

Also, I'm in the process of getting/ordering a custom 90x36x30 tank (basically an ADA 60P + 30cm longer) - about 25G or 97L! I'm very excited haha. Depending on the amount of mitered joints (the bevels) I want, the costs significantly rises. I think I may end up going with the cheapest option without the joints as people are just going to judge what's on the inside anyway...

0r5pbhC.jpg

IMO Rotala or Vallisneria nana would create a better harmony by softening the hardness look of rocks. Fern will show its most beauty if you combine with wood

In addition buce with such big leaves cannot show the senses of depth

IMO Rotala or Vallisneria nana would create a better harmony by softening the hardness look of rocks. Fern will show its most beauty if you combine with wood

In addition buce with such big leaves cannot show the senses of depth

Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I don't quite look of the vallisneria nana =(. Rotala as in rotala rotundifolia right? I actually really like that plant but it grows too tall (and requires too much maintenance for my expectations) - even in my low tech tank. I don't want to be always going in and trimming things for this tank. And point noted about the buce (and lack of perspective) - I might just add smaller variations instead of removing it because I liked the feeling it gives off (like big leaves in the forest). I am hesitant to add other plants that require more care because I want my CBS to be happy/reproduce - and noticed that the more complex things there* were the more problematic my issues became. Do you have any suggestions on low-tech plants you think would fit well given the limitations I set on myself?

This tank was inspired by this video of Chris Lukhaup looking for wild CBS in the forests of HongKong. In the video you see a lot of large pieces of rocks (worn down by weather...) and its not too planted. So I can see what you mean by the rocks I chose being too harsh. There were some stem plants but I can't find any thin stem plants that I like - I really wanted to use purple bamboo but it's nearly impossible to find here in Canada... I might try to add some moss flowing from the top of one of the rocks but everything I do has to be low maintenance and easy on the CBS. The goal was a biotope-ish aquascape that's low maintenance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback. Unfortunately, I don't quite look of the vallisneria nana =(. Rotala as in rotala rotundifolia right? I actually really like that plant but it grows too tall (and requires too much maintenance for my expectations) - even in my low tech tank. I don't want to be always going in and trimming things for this tank. And point noted about the buce (and lack of perspective) - I might just add smaller variations instead of removing it because I liked the feeling it gives off (like big leaves in the forest). I am hesitant to add other plants that require more care because I want my CBS to be happy/reproduce - and noticed that the more complex things there* were the more problematic my issues became. Do you have any suggestions on low-tech plants you think would fit well given the limitations I set on myself?

This tank was inspired by this video of Chris Lukhaup looking for wild CBS in the forests of HongKong. In the video you see a lot of large pieces of rocks (worn down by weather...) and its not too planted. So I can see what you mean by the rocks I chose being too harsh. There were some stem plants but I can't find any thin stem plants that I like - I really wanted to use purple bamboo but it's nearly impossible to find here in Canada... I might try to add some moss flowing from the top of one of the rocks but everything I do has to be low maintenance and easy on the CBS. The goal was a biotope-ish aquascape that's low maintenance.

I got a low tech tank too and in there are only moss, buce wavy leaves and anubias nana petite. I am not sure you can find this plant in Canada

ton_Zhou0603-1_x_27.3.2006-5199.jpg

I have the plant in two high tech tanks and I can tell it requires less care than others. It is also very slow grower.

And maybe if you can find Crypt. wendtii there. It is a perfect choice for middle left area of your nano tank IMO

Last edited:
Btw this tank looks much much better if bottom right corner substrates were covered by sand. It would create a continuous look

9iA2NBg.png
Thanks again for the feedback, I somewhat agree and I think next time I probably wouldn't do the same if I had the option to (show the transition between sand and aqausoil). If I removed the aqua soil there it might not give the same feeling (I'm not sure if there is a good way to build up slopes with sand and ensure that they don't level back out). There may be a way I can adjust it but that would mean literally taking apart the pieces which I'm not sure I want to go through haha... But maybe I will... Edit// Actually, I think I'll try it this weekend and see if it works... wish me luck haha.

Regarding the other plant that you took a photo of, I have not seen that here! I am starting to see some dennerle stuff available so hopefully we will have a larger selection soon.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the feedback, I somewhat agree and I think next time I probably wouldn't do the same if I had the option to (show the transition between sand and aqausoil). If I removed the aqua soil there it might not give the same feeling (I'm not sure if there is a good way to build up slopes with sand and ensure that they don't level back out). There may be a way I can adjust it but that would mean literally taking apart the pieces which I'm not sure I want to go through haha... But maybe I will... Edit// Actually, I think I'll try it this weekend and see if it works... wish me luck haha.

Regarding the other plant that you took a photo of, I have not seen that here! I am starting to see some dennerle stuff available so hopefully we will have a larger selection soon.

You can find more info here about the plant

https://crypts.home.xs4all.nl/Cryptocoryne/

If interested you can visit link below for more information about plant and publish

http://www.bioone.org/doi/10.3372/wi.45.45203

To build a slope either you can use substrate support from TGM or smash rocks into small and thin pieces and put them into places where sand or substrate might collapse (I did it in some area of my recent re-scape)

Last edited:
You can find more info here about the plant

https://crypts.home.xs4all.nl/Cryptocoryne/

If interested you can visit link below for more information about plant and publish

http://www.bioone.org/doi/10.3372/wi.45.45203

To build a slope either you can use substrate support from TGM or smash rocks into small and thin pieces and put them into places where sand or substrate might collapse (I did it in some area of my recent re-scape)

Thanks for the additional information. I actually ended up spending about 4 hours today redoing the right side... I couldn't create the same height and some things moved around... but I think it turned out quite well. I'll update with a photo tomorrow after the water clears up =)

Alright... Finally got a chance to clean up the room and take a photo. Went through a trim and a bit of a rearrangement - it looks a bit more polished now... but I kinda liked how busy it looked before. I also couldn't get the same height as it used to be. It was very difficult because this was really my first tank and I kept going with what I think looked "nice"... Looking "nice" is what I think I achieved but it doesn't look super natural. I also didn't set-up the sand/substrate very well which gave me a huge headache. Oh well, I guess I just need to wait for things to grow in again (about a month left until AGA contest deadline) - praying that it grows in well as I plan to move on from what I've learned and start on the next aquascape.

Vm6BxUI.png

It just needs time to grow back. Wonder what's inside the shady area under anubias. Overall you have done a very good job.

Maybe few more moss attached on wood at the right hand side, middle?

Underneath the shady area is just empty space... nothing special haha. There are some smaller stones but it gets lost under the shade. I think at this point I'm going to leave the tank alone and take an updated photo soon, and then take it down. I've learned a lot from the 60P and will be taking those lessons onwards for my 90cm tank! Most likely it will be an iwagumi one - something very classic and that will focus on a nice carpet, stone placement and an "aged" feeling. Still trying to think of what I want to create for the 60p next.....

And an update on the MiniM. Not much growth - as expected but my wild CBS are quite active now. I also see one berried one =)!

HLYoS9s.jpg

thought i'd commented on these already...these are phenomenal tanks, I'm a fan of the moss on the wood, I know you mentioned a few different types, is it flame moss primarily making up the bulk?

I already took inspiration for one of my nano's i'm working on, doesn't hold a candle to yours though lol!

Incredible stones!

I agree.. I am really lucky that I was able to source what I have. It is seriously hard to get things here in Canada on top of everything being over priced.... On top of rent/home prices. Tear downs in my neighbourhood are going for 1 million dollars+

thought i'd commented on these already...these are phenomenal tanks, I'm a fan of the moss on the wood, I know you mentioned a few different types, is it flame moss primarily making up the bulk?

I already took inspiration for one of my nano's i'm working on, doesn't hold a candle to yours though lol!

It is mainly java and flame moss. And thank you for your kind words =D - looks like I need to work harder... *puts more pressure on myself*

Stunning tanks, really like them both.
Didn't know bamboo leaves could be used.

I didn't exactly know either haha - I just tried it. Final picture of my 60p - tank is going down/being moved soon... I think I need some help so it may wait until tomorrow morning. I learned so much through this tank... and I can't wait to start on my other tanks. The 60p will be adjusted to a more foresty one for my 5 chocolate gouramis. Having some dilemma about where to store them when the amazonia spike gets taken care of by the filter. Anyone think that 5 choco gouramis will be okay in a ADA 45p (10g) for a week or two?

69Aa9Hx.png

Back