• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing Timing

Barry Hannah

I dose my tank via a dosing pump which does make it much easier for me.

Question I have is does the time of the day make any difference at all to dosing and does doing all in one go or spreading it out have any benefits.

I know the benefit of having Co2 on before the lights come on and going off an hour or so before the lights go off but wasn't sure if there is similar thinking for ferts?

As for the amount I can set to dose all in one go or dose a small amount every hour throughout the day?

Just wondered what everyone else does.

The only thing to consider, is what type of chelator your AIO solution use for micro. Knowing that chelator are photo and PH sensitive, it may be the best to dose when your light are off but your PH is at its lowest after injection is started. I think at this moment you can't be wrong.

Knowing your water parameter and type of chelator you are using would be a good information so we can be a bit more specific on the timing.

The only thing to consider, is what type of chelator your AIO solution use for micro. Knowing that chelator are photo and PH sensitive, it may be the best to dose when your light are off but your PH is at its lowest after injection is started. I think at this moment you can't be wrong.

Knowing your water parameter and type of chelator you are using would be a good information so we can be a bit more specific on the timing.
Ok thanks, so dont have my water parameters handy at the moment but I am currently dosing using "2hr Aquarist APT 3 Complete"

I dose my tank via a dosing pump which does make it much easier for me.

Question I have is does the time of the day make any difference at all to dosing and does doing all in one go or spreading it out have any benefits.
Hi @Barry Hannah
Some set dosing pumps once a day and others spread the daily dose to a number of smaller doses. Does it make a difference I don't know, but plants can take the nutrients and use them later, but algae cannot. Algae does not store nutrients. So I would prefer once a day.

But more importantly, can plants and algae take nutrients at night? Plants can use nutrients at night but algae cannot. Also, microbes can use nutrients at night since they don't care if it is night or day. So dosing nutrients shortly before lights makes more sense.

Hi @Barry Hannah
Some set dosing pumps once a day and others spread the daily dose to a number of smaller doses. Does it make a difference I don't know, but plants can take the nutrients and use them later, but algae cannot. Algae does not store nutrients. So I would prefer once a day.

But more importantly, can plants and algae take nutrients at night? Plants can use nutrients at night but algae cannot. Also, microbes can use nutrients at night since they don't care if it is night or day. So dosing nutrients shortly before lights makes more sense.
Ok thats great thanks, so might look to dose just before the lights come on!

Thanks for that

Back