• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Dosing ferts inline

Morning everyone,

I’ve just ordered two dosing DD p1 pumps yesterday and i will be installing it probably tomorrow. Literally just waiting for a parcel to come.

So it makes me wonder,

Can you actually dose ferts inline?

Does any one has their aquarium set this way?

Thanks,

Piotr

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning everyone,

I’ve ordered two dosing DD p1 pumps yesterday (will be installing on Sunday) for my two tanks and just wondering.

Can you actually dose ferts inline?

Does any one has their aquarium setup this way?

Thanks,

Piotr
It’s possible and I have seen it done but IMO it’s just more gimmickry than anything. Only advantage is having the fert line hidden from view.
Here is the picture of such setup. Picture is not mine, just showing for educational purposes.
105600450_3310622655624655_8725545186767717285_n.jpg

Here is the picture of such setup. Picture is not mine, just showing for educational purposes.
They have non return valves fitted to stop the water backwashing into the dosing pump. Suggests that they will need a bit of pressure to be able to dispense. I wonder if that needs a particular dosing pump and possibly also affects accuracy of dosing.

They have non return valves fitted to stop the water backwashing into the dosing pump. Suggests that they will need a bit of pressure to be able to dispense. I wonder if that needs a particular dosing pump and possibly also affects accuracy of dosing.
When using a dosing pump one needs to use non return valves even if not inline. Only exception is if the pump/fert is above water level.
This said I am wondering if those brass nipples also have non return valves integrated in them.

Last edited:
Both pumps will definitely be under tanks.

If pumps will carry on with check valve i will obviously install it on them as well.

The thing is i need to figure out how to connect pump outlet into filter hose but i will need to see how is it designed first.

It should be delivered to me Today.

:)

It has finally arrived! 😃

59582E43-2C38-49FB-AA89-0C904DE70557.jpeg

Now,

The tricky part is how to install it! 😅

I mean,

Inline obviously,

😅

i wonder about the ability of these peristaltic pump heads to push against the return flow and no way to run the calibration test when installed that way.
i like to keep stuff out of tank too... and i enjoy gadgets and fittings too. these guys here have me focused on plant growth and nutrient uptake these days... there is always a back and forth about this on some of the more interesting threads i follow... this one is evolving that way. Some of these have me rethinking how much I rely on tech - but dosing pump is super useful - mine goes into the sump, check valves sit in the dosing containers.

excited to see your upcoming design here @Piotr Listwan

There was a guy (on facebook I think) that used an inline CO2 diffuser from Tropica or something like that to introduce the ferts into the water stream. Of course it could not inject CO2 at the same time though. Im not sure how he got around the pressure issue

Fighting with it 😅

Super glue and baking soda make wonders 😅

Hope it will work well at least just for now 🙂
BD305B86-6C21-4AF2-B647-6482E7DD5DB6.jpeg

Attachments

• 1A7FC17B-C7FD-41C1-96EC-641F8CD395E1.jpeg
    1A7FC17B-C7FD-41C1-96EC-641F8CD395E1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 81
  • ED448C8E-B362-4F38-99D9-4A983A21A8B6.jpeg
    ED448C8E-B362-4F38-99D9-4A983A21A8B6.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 68
I'm not sure if I'm seeing that correctly but it looks mighty dangerous to me, I'm sure if you scoured the internet you could find something more suitable.
After a very quick look I already found these for about £1.50, a deeper delve I'm sure will result in something even more appropriate, and of course to be used along with check valves..

T16-8-16_1.jpg

If mounted below the tank then that particular piece of equipment is all that stands between your entire tank volume of water, and your floor. Ripping up and replacing an entire floor is very costly. Even if insured, I dont think they would cover damage caused by such unusual/unsafe equipment. Strongly urge you to reconsider that implementation.

Don’t worry.

I’m not going to leave it like that and please excuse me i’m doing it on my own responsibility.

It’s just to have some kind of view how is it operate when connected and it is only temporary.

Small disclaimer:

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME

happy?

I have found this yesterday with is perfect:
93F48647-9DDF-4C18-9CE9-81D8A1301879.jpeg

And there is another one at B&Qs but has a weird screw-type thread on it.

I would rather install top one as screwing it up on already connected hosing might be a bit difficult.

Will mess everything around.

295DB080-4F5B-4E2E-93CC-1B1F9143CA98.jpeg

i wonder about the ability of these peristaltic pump heads to push against the return flow and no way to run the calibration test when installed that way.
i like to keep stuff out of tank too... and i enjoy gadgets and fittings too. these guys here have me focused on plant growth and nutrient uptake these days... there is always a back and forth about this on some of the more interesting threads i follow... this one is evolving that way. Some of these have me rethinking how much I rely on tech - but dosing pump is super useful - mine goes into the sump, check valves sit in the dosing containers.

excited to see your upcoming design here @Piotr Listwan

So far so good.

Pump is going quite well even against return flow.

I’d did obviously primed and calibrated it outside the tank (1mm per day) but it doesn’t seems to loose any pressure when connected at all.

Tested couple times manually dosing.

But i will keep an eye on it.

Meanwhile yesterday:

Has been a bit messy 🤣

682E45A8-E0F7-41D9-BF91-C60BAF5DAB92.jpeg

When using a dosing pump one needs to use non return valves even if not inline. Only exception is if the pump/fert is above water level.
Interesting. I thought with a peristaltic pump the tube is constricted in two places and thus back flow would be impossible, and even if it did, the worst would be the contents of the hose up to the tank, which is about 30ml. If, on the other hand the pump and dosing container sits above the tank, there isn‘t there the risk that the entire contents of the storage container could flow into the tank? if so, I know which one I’d rather avoid.

Interesting. I thought with a peristaltic pump the tube is constricted in two places and thus back flow would be impossible, and even if it did, the worst would be the contents of the hose up to the tank, which is about 30ml. If, on the other hand the pump and dosing container sits above the tank, there isn‘t there the risk that the entire contents of the storage container could flow into the tank? if so, I know which one I’d rather avoid.
If you have the fert tube going in the water, which some people do for some odd reason, and you have a failed roller or tube, then the water from the tank could start syphoning out. Not something you want. Also, peristaltic pumps with only 3 rollers, which is the case for most of all these low end pumps, don't always have 2 rollers fully pressing down the tube. In order to be safe it's best to use a 4 roller peristaltic pump but they get expensive.
There is no harm in using a non-return valve no matter how you set up your pump. It's just an additional insurance. Once the flow is calibrated it just stays the same.

Back